Rutherglen V Beith

Pre Season Friendly.
Toryglen Indoor Centre.
1st August 2015.

Rutherglen Glencairn 1 Beith Juniors FC 4

The artificial surface at the Toryglen Indoor Centre looked as if it had seen better days and both sides were missing players for all the usual pre season reasons, so it’s maybe a bit harsh to take too much out of the result of this one sided match. Beith took control of the match early on and had by far the best of the possession, creative play and chances, they were a well rounded side that could move the ball fluidly from back to front quickly, they looked the part and might become a regular on my fixed odds coupon in the season ahead. Glencairn on the other hand look as if they’ll have to work hard, they only came to life for a short spell in the second half and played as individuals that didn’t want to take ownership of the ball.

Beith Juniors got into their stride early on and Glencairn looked second best to every ball, Beith earned their first chance in the sixth minute when a cross was played into the Glen’s penalty area for Docherty to head on to Thomas Collins who then went onto strike the ball wide of the post from twelve yards. Within a minute of the resulting Glencairn goal kick, Beith played the ball out of defence and McGowan made a powerful run down the far side before swinging a cross in front of the goalmouth, Glen’s keeper Kerr ran out to meet the cross but misjudged the speed of the ball and it squirmed through his grasp to sit up nicely for a tap in, fortunately Adam Shaw came to the rescue and cleared to safety. Rutherglen fans had to wait until the fourteenth minute of the match until getting their first sniff at the Beith goal, when a ball was played from the wing inside for Nisanci to fire over the crossbar from twenty five yards. Beith were once again on the attack when Ryan played a lovely thirty yard pass down the wing for Collins who then struck a decent low cross in front of the Glen’s six yard box, McGowan ran in but the ball was just beyond his reach, only managing to get the slightest of touches that found it’s way into the hands of Kerr. It had been on the books from the get go and Beith finally got the reward they so richly deserved after Ryan played another decent pass down the flank for McGowan, his cross into the penalty area found the foot of McGowan, his first time strike from fifteen yards, hit the back of the net, leaving the keeper with no chance of making a save, 0-1. Within ninety seconds, Beith made it two when the ball was crossed into the Rutherglen penalty box and Collins rose to head into the top right hand corner of the goal, Kerr stretched fully but still didn’t manage to get a touch on the ball, 0-2.

Beith continued to dominate and on the thirty eighth minute, Beith almost had their third but for the goal mouth heroics of the Glencairn stopper Kerr, once again Ryan passed down the wing for McGowan who kept his cross into the penalty area low, Campbell stormed in and thundered a shot towards goal from fifteen yards but Kerr threw his outstretched body towards the ball and saved for a corner. McGowan swung in the resulting corner and Nicky Docherty ran in to head over the crossbar.The final chance of the half fell to Glencairn when Shaw played a long ball into the Beith penalty area for Cullen, the keeper read the flight of the ball and made his decision early to come out and get his body in front of Cullen and managed to smother his shot.

Half Time: Rutherglen Glencairn 0 Beith Juniors FC 2

Beith started the second half strongly and Docherty had two decent headed efforts from close range saved by Kerr in the Rutherglen goal, they should have made it three when McGowan struck a long cross into the Glen’s penalty area that fell to the feet of Watt, eight yards from the goal line, his first time strike flew well over the crossbar. Rutherglen’s Mark Tait made the most of his chance in the fifty seventh minute when Nisanci made a fifty yard pass into the Beith half for Tait, whilst holding off a defender he managed to get his shot on goal from fifteen yards, Grindlay got down to make the save and out for a Glencairn corner. Rutherglen finally made it onto the scoresheet when they were awarded a penalty kick after Boal was brought down with a clumsy challenge on the edge of the penalty area, Zok stepped up and kept his shot low, sending the keeper the wrong way, making it 1-2. Although Beith were still dominating, Rutherglen were having their most productive spell of the match and came close once more, a free the kick was sent into the Beith penalty area for Cullen to shoot from ten yards, the keeper saved but couldn’t quite manage to hold onto the ball, it spun towards Boal but Grindlay was on top of the loose ball before Boal could get a touch.

Beith restored their two goal lead on sixty nine minutes, McGowan played a decent long ball up the pitch for Reid who stretched a foot out to knock the ball across the penalty area for Watt, he had to run wide to get control then ran back inside towards goal, his eighteen yard strike took a cruel deflection off of a Glen’s defender and into the net for 1-3. It was four to Beith a few minutes later, the Rutherglen defence were under pressure from a pressing Beith forward line and couldn’t clear their lines, the ball was sloppily knocked back to the keeper and Collins intercepted the back pass and slid the ball past the keeper from eight yards, 1-4. The match wound down with neither side looking likely to add to the tally, Beith fully deserved their win and the scoreline was probably a fair reflection of the play.

Beith manager John Millar was pleased with his team’s performance “I was delighted that Glencairn got the facility to play us in a game, the numbers were down a wee bit but it felt good and we played well, kept possession off the ball and that was what we were looking for on this big massive pitch.” On the club’s pre season “pre season’s gone really well, we’ve had a few good results and there’s plenty of competition for places, so it keeps everyone on their toes and we have been doing well.”

Rutherglen Glencairn: Kerr GK, Shaw, Boal, Doyle, Eadie, Trialist, McGuire, Batchelor, Cullen, Tait, Nisanci. Subs: Zok, Brown, Smith, Craig, Fraser, Hutchison GK, Mastraszek GK.

Goals: Zok 60 pen.

Beith Juniors: Grindlay GK, McDonald, Docherty, McArthur, Sheridan, Martin, Ryan, Wilson, Collins, Campbell, McGowan. Subs: Reid, Watt, McKeown, O’Neill GK.

Goals: Campbell 22, Collins 23, 73, Watt 69.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10197 others and follow us