Lanarkshire Junior Round Up – 18/02/17

Action Between Cambuslang & Rossvale at Somervell Park

With both sides occupying space in the bottom half of the Super First Division table, Blantyre Victoria and Yoker Athletic’s goal less draw wasn’t ideal for either but did manage to lift Vics above Shotts and into eleventh place.

Rutherglen have now gone six unbeaten after earning their first back to back league wins of the season, with a 2-0 victory away to Clydebank. Glens left it late to take the lead when Fraser Team struck after some great build up play by Glens on the 73rd minutes. The outcome was sealed five minutes later when Dale McNab headed in at the back post from a McCardle corner kick.

It had been six matches since Cumbernauld last earned a point with their 3-2 win away at Renfrew, so Saturdays 2-0 win away at Irvine Victoria provided a welcome three points for United. Paddy McCabe gave his side a first half lead before Jamie Watson sealed the victory with a second.

Kilsyth returned to league duty and recorded their first victory of 2017 with a 6-0 beating of Shotts, and moving back into poll position after title rivals Shettleston were hammered 6-1 by Girvan. Rangers now top the table by a solitary point and the goal difference between the sides has now stretched to 26 in Kilsyth’s favour.

Rossvale became only the second side to beat Cambuslang in the league this season after winning 3-2 at Somervell Park, leaving Rangers just seven points ahead of St. Roch’s after their win at Robertson Park. Rangers went two goals in front when Hastings and Gormley fired in two quick fire first half goals. But Vale fought back with a second half Doherty brace before Forbes fired in a late winner from the penalty spot, just six minutes from time.

Larkhall remain nicely placed in third with a chance of gaining ground on the top two with a 2-1 win against Johnstone at Gasworks Park, after Burgh took the lead early in the second half. But true to form, ten man Thistle fought back with a Mark Canning equaliser then Ryan Innes drove home the winner. Thistle are now two points behind Candy with a game in hand and nine behind Rangers with three games in hand.

Lesmahagow moved up one place above Thorniewood into tenth after beating Neilston 2-1 at the Brig O’Lea on Saturday. The Farmers Boys took the lead on 20 minutes when Craig Paterson slotted home from a Kieran McDade free kick. But the Gow equalised before the half time break when Boylan drilled the ball home 13 minutes later. As the game went deep into injury time the points looked destined to be shared, but McStay pounced with a winner when Neilston failed to clear their lines.

Action Between Thorniewood & St. Roch’s at Robertson Park

Thorniewood came back from behind twice in the first half to go into the half time break at 2-2 with St. Roch’s, before Candy secured a 4-2 victory thanks to a Jordan Logan brace. United moved down a place after Lesmahagow won and Candy moved to within seven points of Cambuslang, whilst still having two games in hand over the leaders.

Forth marked their first league match since December by recording their third consecutive draw and a share of the points against Vale of Clyde. Wanderers went two goals in front before half time, when Roddy Hunter scored after just four minutes and Taylor Scott after forty. But Forth couldn’t hold onto the lead and Vale fought back to score from the penalty spot then snatch a second, fifteen minutes from time to level the match at 2-2.

Wishaw kept up their push for promotion with a 2-1 win over struggling Bellshill Athletic, to make it seven wins and a draw from their last eight league games. McCafferty gave Wishaw the lead when he tapped in after Hill failed to clear from a corner kick. A battling Bellshill made them wait until five minutes from time before Coffey managed to add a second, before Hill pulled one back from the head of Jusowiak.

Lanark moved to within three points of second placed Port Glasgow after their 3-1 win away at East Kilbride, and the Parklea side lost away at Dunipace. Newmains United didn’t manage to make it back to back wins after losing 4-1 to visitors Vale of Leven.

Royal Albert moved up into ninth after a 5-2 win against St. Anthony’s made it back to back wins. Albert took the lead against the run of play after 12 minutes when Liam O’Kane headed in at the back post, then added another ten minutes later. They then missed a spot kick before Ants pulled one back but Albert restored the two goal lead when Scott McLachlin headed in a third. Barry Murdoch scored a fourth from the spot early in the second half, again against the run of play. The fifth came from an unfortunate own goal before Ants scored a second.

Gartcairn and Carluke will face each other for a fifth time this season after drawing 2-2 at MTC Park. Ryan Donnelly headed Cairn in front after 17 minutes, but it took Rovers just 13 minutes more to pull level when Ian Watt curled in a shot from the 18-yard line. Weir then fired Carluke in front with a stunning 30-yard strike, before Gartcairn levelled the match when Jordan Love struck from the penalty spot and ensure a replay on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10196 others and follow us