Mark Johnson’s East Region Round Up – 25/02/17

Review by Mark Johnson

This weekend review of action in the East Region is somewhat curtailed after no fewer than fifteen games being postponed, including the Scottish Junior Cup tie between Maryhill and Linlithgow Rose, due to waterlogged pitches thanks to the evils of Storm Doris.

D J Laing East of Scotland Cup 3rd Round

Blairgowrie’s dip in form on the North League carried on in the East of Scotland Cup as Premier League strugglers, Whitburn, were comfortable 3-0 winners at Davie Park. Gary Brass put the Lothian side in front after just ten minutes but it wasn’t until the second half that Brass doubled his sides advantage with twenty minutes left on the clock. The Whitburn man then turned provider as he set up Martin Russell to make it 3-0.

The Conservatory Convertors Fife & Lothian Cup 3rd Round

Broxburn Athletic progressed to the next round of the Fife & Lothians Cup after narrowly beating Lothian rivals Newtongrange Star 2-1 at Albyn Park. Kieran Anderson put Broxburn in front but the visitors levelled just after the hour mark through Jordan Cropley. With four minutes to go an error by the Newtongrange keeper saw Anderson put his side in to the Quarter Finals.

The tie at Kings Park between Dalkeith Thistle and Tranent had to be decided by a penalty shootout after a stoppage time equaliser for the home side saw the game end at 2-2. Tranent took a very early lead with Kenny Fisher putting his side in front after just 43 seconds. Fisher then doubled the advantage with still only 20 minutes gone. Stewart Adams pulled a goal back on 24 minutes with a spectacular overhead kick but it wasn’t until the second minute of added time that Blake Wales equalised for the home side and took the game to a shootout. The visitors were the more accurate from the spot, winning 4-3 East Super League

In the Super League, the game at Keirs Park between Hill of Beath and Lochee United was postponed but the other five fixtures threw up plenty of interest.

Broughty Athletics dismal run of form in the league continued as they went down 1-0 to an injury hit Bo’ness United at Whitton Park. With no less than four central defenders injured, the visitors had to field a makeshift defence that coped comfortably with the home sides threat. A Fraser Keast goal midway through the second half proved to be the difference between the sides in what was a poor game disrupted by the blustery conditions. The result sees Broughty run extend to nine games and they slipped to seventh place.

If Broughty’s run of form is poor then Carnoustie are enjoying the opposite as they earned a point from an entertaining 2-2 draw with Dundonald at Laing Park. Alan McSkimming’s side are turning their home in to something of a fortress and are unbeaten at home for eight games. Carnoustie took the lead on 18 minutes when Robert Urquhart hit a blistering effort from 20 yards after great work on the left by Sam Simpson and two minutes later Gordon Macdonald made it ten goals for the season when he bundled the ball home after his first effort was only parried by Lennox in the visitor’s goal. Dundonald have had an excellent first season in the top flight so far and are in the top five on merit and despite 2-0, down were

still in the game. Craig Wedderburn headed a goal back for Bluebell on 25 minutes and then the leading scorer in the top flight, Lewis McKenzie steered a great shot past Alan Cormack to draw the visitors level. Both sides had their chances to win the game and it was somewhat surprising that the entertaining encounter ended level at 2-2.

The game between Fauldhouse United and Bonnyrigg Rose was switched to New Dundas Park following the snow of Thursday and Rose were in no mood for charity as they beat the bottom club 2-0. Ewan Moyes put his side in front ten minutes before the break and Adam Nelson made sure of the points when he scored from a free kick with a minute to go. The result delighted boss Robbie Horn “We deserved the win but had to work hard to get it”

The win for Bonnyrigg was made all the sweeter by Kelty Hearts surprise home defeat to Jeanfield Swifts at New Central Park.  Kelty were reduced to ten men after just twelve minutes when Murray Carstairs was sent off and Anthony Holt doubled the pain by giving Kyle Allison no chance from the spot. Six minutes later and the home defence appeared to be is disarray, allowing Keith Dewar to put the Perth side 2-0 in front. Kelty tried all they could to get back in to the game but despite dominating the second half, the visitors defence stood firm. Craig Thomson made it a nervous last five minutes when he pulled a goal back but Jeanfield held out to inflict a second consecutive defeat for the Super League leaders.

Musselburgh Athletic are in a precarious position just three points ahead of Jeanfield after they went down 3-2 at home to Penicuik Athletic, making it seven games without a win and eleven since they last won at Olivebank.  It started well for Calvin Shands side when Declan O’Kane put his side in front after 11 minutes but Ryan McCallum was able to restore parity on 33 minutes. Matti King put the home-side in front again seven minutes before half time. They game was drawing to close with Musselburgh looking increasingly likely to take the points until Craig Hume equalised with nine to go and in stoppage time Kyle Scott hit the winner for the visitors to leave Musselburgh on the edge of trouble. East Premier League

Only two games survived in the Premier League and they involved the top two sides, Kennoway Star Hearts and Forfar West End.

Kennoway threw away a 3-0 lead at home to Haddington and were grateful to take a point from a game that they should have been home and dry in. Kieran Band scored the Fife side’s first in the first minute and Kyle Wilson hit a second after 21 minutes. Band made it 3-0 to the league leaders on 54 minutes and Kennoway were cruising. The visitors however, thought otherwise, Andy Jones pulled a goal back on the hour mark and Euan Bauld struck twice on 78 and 84 minutes to take what had seemed a highly unlikely point with 35 minutes to go.

Daryl McKenzies West End took full advantage of Kennoways slip up as they returned to the top of the table after beating struggling Armadale Thistle 5-1 at Strathmore Park. Matty Ramsay continued his rich vein of form when he put West End in front on 25 minutes only for the visitors to level just after the half hour. Graeme Hart restored his sides lead just before the break and then with only three minutes of the second half gone Craig Bell scored a third. Andy Walls hit a fourth on 67 minutes and then made it 5-1 with ten minutes remaining to ensure an emphatic victory for the Angus side. McKenzie said after the game “Delighted with the win and the performance of my players. Our home record this season is

fantastic and the players kept that going. A 5-1 win was deserved for a strong performance and although Armadale had a strong 20 minutes we were deserved winners.” East North League

The games at Lochore, Luncarty and Newburgh were all postponed which left four games in the North League.

Arbroath Vics and Lochee Harp took a share of the points from a disappointing 0-0 draw at Ogilvy Park in a game spoilt by the conditions.

Coupar Angus have been in great form of late, however, most of it has been away from home and so it proved again yesterday as visitors Kirriemuir Thistle ran out 5-0 winners. Darren Scott scored on 40 minutes as his side led 1-0 at the break. Bryan Duell made it 2-0 on 65 minutes and Kamil Kadela made it 3-0 on 72 minutes. Davie Miller hit a fourth, three minutes later before Scott Drum scored a fifth late on.

East Craigie pulled off something of a surprise as they beat leaders, Scone Thistle, 1-0 at Craigie Park, Lee Maloney scoring the winner. Scone boss Derek Lawson was understandably very disappointed “We were very poor in a very poor game, hopefully we can bounce back next week.

Thornton Hibs were on the goal trail as they thrashed Forfar Albion 8-0 at Guthrie Park. The Fife side were 4-0 in front at the break after an own goal on 20 minutes and a Shaun Keatings effort on 28 minutes were followed by strikes from Garry Thomson Snr on 34 and Daniel McNab on 35. Chris Ireland hit the fifth on 48 minutes before McNab scored on 61 and 65 to complete his hat trick before going on to score his fourth and his sides eighth with three minutes left. East South League

Only one game survived the weather in the South League and that was the game on the coast at New Countess Park, where Dunbar United kept up the pressure on Pumpherston and Blackburn United with a 3-0 win at home to Easthouses Lily. Darren Handling scored the first on 34 minutes and Chris Moffat hit the second on the stroke of half time. Handling made it three with ten minutes to go.




Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10197 others and follow us