East Region Round Up – 11.03.17

Review by Mark Jonson

Scottish Junior Cup 5th Round

Maryhill and Linlithgow were finally able to play their outstanding Fifth Round Scottish Junior Cup tie, all be it at St Anthony’s McKenna Park. The Glasgow side came back from 2-0 down to level things up before Tommy Coyne made sure that it would be Linlithgow that hosted Gartcairn next weekend. The East Region side took the lead on 26 minutes through Ross Gray and seven minutes later, Coyne put the visitors 2-0 in front with his 249th goal for the club. Whatever was said to the Maryhill players at half time paid off because within 4 minutes of the restart, the sides were level. Joe Begley pulled the first back on 47 minutes and two minutes later Justin Begg equalised.  Coyne hit 250 on 77 minutes when he got the faint last touch to a Leiper header before completing his hat trick a minute from time. 

G A Engineering Cup Quarter Finals

Broughty Athletic put their poor league form behind them as they stormed past Hermes and in to the Semi Finals of the G.A. Engineering Cup. The home side started well and took the lead after just four minutes when Ross McCord stabbed the ball home from close range after just 4 minutes. Keith Gibson’s side were 2-0 in front on 20 minutes when the visitors keeper could only parry a Ryan Suttie header in to the path of Grant Lawson, who made no mistake. Five minutes in to the second half and Shaka Roy scored his first goal for the club when Kevin Buchan headed the ball in to his path to make it 3-0 for Broughty. The visitors were reduced to ten men two minutes later but that seemed to galvanise the Aberdeen side, who pulled a goal back from the penalty spot on 57 minutes after Ryan Blair had been penalised. Kevin Buchan restored his sides three goal cushion when he scored on the hour mark and the striker made sure of his sides progress with his second and Broughty’s fifth four minutes from time. 

Dundee Violet and East Craigie served up a cracking Dundee Derby at Glenesk Park. The two sides traded goals for most of the game but with the score at 3-3, the Premier leagues bottom club found something extra to pull clear. Nik Mann with two goals and Liam McCartney scored the East Craigie goals with the first three Violet goals coming from Chris Tawse, ben Middleton and a Ryan Dignan penalty. Dale Hart put Violet 4-3 in front before Craig Batchelor hit the fifth and put Violet through to the semi-final. 

Kirriemuir Thistle strolled in to the Semi Finals with a 3-0 win over Lochee Harp at West View. Jim Finlayson’s free scoring side went in to the break 1-0 in front courtesy of a Darren Scott goal. Despite an improved performance from Harp in the second half, they failed to convert their chances and Kirrie went further in front through Bryan Duell and Scott made sure of their Semi Final place with a third late on. 

Tayport are also through to the Semi Finals after an accomplished 2-0 win over Super League side Carnoustie Panmure at The Canniepairt. The game was goal less at the break after a poor first half but the second half exploded in to life after just four minutes when Dale Reid was allowed to waltz through the visitors defence and put the Premier League side in front. The second half was at time fractious with the referee waving several yellow cards as he struggled to keep a lid on the tension. Carnoustie huffed and puffed without threatening Gavin Sorleys goal and it was no surprise when Alan Tulleth made sure of the victory, slotting home with six minutes to go. 

The draw for the Semi Finals was made at Whitton Park after the game and sees Kirriemuir Thistle host Tayport and Broughty Athletic face a trip to Dundee Violet. The date of the Semi Finals is still to be announced. 

McBookie.com East Super League

Lochee United returned from their visit to Bonnyrigg Rose pointless after being on the wrong end of a 3-0 defeat. The Lothian side went in front on 23 minutes when Wayne McIntosh headed home an Adam Nelson free kick and Bonnyrigg led at the break. Kieren McGachie made it 2-0 on the hour when he dinked the ball over Mark Fotheringham and McIntosh got his second on 67 minutes to make sure his side maintained their challenge to league leaders Kelty Hearts. Rose were reduced to ten men late on when Lewis Turner was sent off. 

It was an eventful game at Park View as Dundonald Bluebell were comfortable 5-0 winners over bottom club Fauldhouse United but that is only half the story as three players were sent off. Sam Buchan got the Fife side off and running and then leading scorer in the Super League, Lewis McKenzie, made it 2-0 on eleven minutes. Bluebell were reduced to 10 men just before the half hour when Calum Rarity was sent off but that didn’t stop his side recording their sixth game unbeaten in the top flight.  The second half was full of action with two men sent off for Fauldhouse and the visitors took full advantage, Mark Forbes scored a third goal on 63 minutes before Barry Sibanda made it 4-0 on 78 minutes. McKenzie scored his second and Dundonald’s fifth in stoppage.  

Hill of Beath recorded their first league win at home since September and inflicted a damaging defeat on relegation threatened Jeanfield Swifts at Keir’s Park. Bobby Wilson’s side started well and got early rewards as first Colin Wilson put his side in front on 12 minutes and then Sean Leishmann doubled the advantage two minutes later. Robbie Holden pulled a goal back for Jeanfield on 63 minutes but Calum Adamson restored the two-goal advantage just six minutes later.  

Kelty Hearts know that the title is still in their hands but with Bonnyrigg chasing them down, know that they can’t afford anymore slip ups. Tam Courts side put the defeat to Jeanfield behind them as they beat ten man Broxburn Athletic 2-0 at New Central Park. The Edinburgh side were reduced to ten men on 20 minutes when goalkeeper Connor Wallace was ordered off for a rash challenge on Sean O’Neill. The league leaders took the lead right on half time through Jordyn Sheerin and Stephen Husband made sure of victory seven minutes from time, slotting home from ten yards. 

Penicuik boss Johnny Harvey was quoted as not wanting Newtongrange Star to be relegated but promised no favours as they clashed at Penicuik Park and he was true to his word as his high-flying side ran out 3-0 winners. Ryan Gay seized on a defensive mix up to put Penicuik in front on seven minutes and Andy Forbes made it 2-0 five minutes before half time when he smashed the ball high in to the net from a Gay corner. Ryan McCallum made sure of the three points and added to Star’s woe with a third on 75 minutes when he flicked the ball home. 

Camelon v Bo’ness United was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Carmuirs Park. 

McBookie.com East Premier League

Haddington went on a goal spree against a woeful Armadale Thistle at Volunteer Park. The Hi Hi took the lead after just five minutes through Paul Devlin and then Scott Moffatt scored on 15 and 30 minutes to send his side in to the break 3-0 in front. It was more of the same in the second half as Andy Jones scored a fourth on 54 minutes and Chris Robertson scored twice in added time to make it 6-0 at full time 

Dalkeith went down 1-0 at home to Tranent, not being helped by having two men sent off. The only goal of the game came on the hour mark as Alex Christie hit what proved to be the winner for the visitors 

Downfield and Bathgate Thistle shared the points from an entertaining 1-1 draw at Downfield Park. The two goals came in the space of two minutes midway through the second half. Robbie Feeney put the visitors in front on 64 minutes but the lead lasted just 90 seconds before James Thomson equalised for The Spiders. 

Their game was postponed at Whitburn but Forfar West End were the major benefactors from the 1-1 draw between Kennoway Star Hearts and Arniston Rangers at Treaton Park. Chris Gay put the leaders in front after 22 minutes and Alex Davidson’s side looked on course to take all three points until Greig Callaghan equalised for the visitors with eleven minutes to go. The result increases Kennoway’s lead to three points over West End but Daryl McKenzie’s side have two games in hand. 

St. Andrews United are in a very precarious position towards the bottom of the Premier League after they were thrashed 6-0 by title favourites Sauchie at Beechwood Park.  Ryan Millar set his side on their way on 15 minutes before a Steven Higgins double on 24 and 37 minutes, saw Sauchie lead 3-0 at the break. Moses Olanrewaju increased the lead, ten minutes in to the second half and with seventeen minutes left, Higgins completed his hat trick. It was left to the man that started Sauchie off, Ryan Millar, to put the icing on the cake with number six. 

The game at Whitburn, where Forfar West End were supposed to be the visitors was postponed 

McBookie.com East North League

Arbroath Vics enjoyed a comfortable 3-1 win over Forfar Albion at Ogilvy Park, with all the goals coming in a twelve-minute period. Josh Chalmers put the home side in front on 70 minute and Kyle Findlater made it 2-0, five minutes later. A Ryan Carr free kick pulled a goal back for Albion on 77 minutes but Charlie Wilson made sure for Vics with a third on 82 minutes. 

The game between Blairgowrie and Kinnoull was abandoned after 38 minutes following a serious elbow injury to Blair skipper Mark Brash. After consultation with officials the referee abandoned the game due to Brash needing the services of paramedics.  A Blairgowrie official said that Brash was recovering after having his elbow relocated in hospital. 

Scone Thistle boss Derek Lawson demanded a response from his side following their defeat at East Craigie and he could exactly that as the visitors won 4-1 at Coupar Angus. Thistle lead 3-1 at half time after goals from Gary Fergus (9), Sean Whitworth (28) and Craig Mitchell (39) had put them 3-0 in front before Alex Gibb pulled one back on 41 minutes. Sean Fergus hit the fourth on 54 minutes at the Perth side eased to victory. 

Luncarty romped to a 6-0 victory over Lochore Welfare at Brownlands Park. Jonny Kelly’s side were 3-0 in front at half time, Ross Mitchell put his side in front before a Jamie Reid double extended the advantage before Duncan Bruce pulled of a brilliant save to keep out a James Adam penalty, right on half time. After the break, Luncarty continued on the front foot, extending their lead thanks to a brace from Stuart Nicol and one from Lewis Allan. Luncarty eventually running out 6-0 winners. 

The new management team at Dundee North End got off to the perfect start as they won 5-2 at Newburgh. Zak Wilson put North End in front on 14 minutes and on 28 minutes Ross Sievwright made it 2-0. Ryan Hunter scored North End’s third goal with eight minutes to go before half time. Steven Harris pulled a goal back for Newburgh with almost the last kick of the half. A Dayle Robertson double on 74 and 78 minutes put Ross Lunan’s charges well in front but in a replica of the second half Harris scored a second for Newburgh with the last kick of the game. 

The game at Memorial Park between Thornton Hibs and Brechin Vics was postponed. 

McBookie.com East South League

Dunbar United took a major step towards promotion with a 3-1 win at New Countess Park over their rivals to go up, Pumpherston. The visitors took the lead on 18 minutes through Ross Elliot but Unitred went in level at half time after Darren Handling equalised two minutes before the break. Sam Young put Dunbar in front ten minutes in to the second half before Pumphy were reduced to ten men as Scott Fairley was shown a second yellow card. Chris Grant made sure of the three points with Dunbar’s third goal, eight minutes from time. 

Stephen Forbes was on target for Crossgates Primrose at Easthouses Lily MW but unfortunately for his side it was only a consolation as they went down 3-1. Steve Barrie, Steven Ferguson and Kenny McMillan scoring for the home side. 

A very understrength Oakley United went down 6-1 at home to leaders Blackburn United. Andy McQuillan with a hat trick as well as Campbell, Young and Donnelly got the Easthouses goal while Oakley’s goal came from a sixteen-year-old trialist, one of three teenagers in the United starting eleven. 

It was advantage Stoneyburn in the basement clash with Kirkcaldy YM after the home side came from behind to win 2-1. YM took the lead on the hour but a trialist equalised on 80 minutes and Ben Mackay hit the winner with seven minutes to go. 

Edinburgh United and Livingston United shared the points after they drew 0-0 at Paties Road, while Craigroyston enjoyed a 4-1 win at West Calder United. Keith Bucks put the visitors in front on 14 minutes and Ross Nisbet made it 2-0 on the half hour. Bucks hit his second and Craigroyston’s third five minutes before half time. Jordan Thomson pulled a goal back for West Calder on the hour but two minutes later Bucks completed his hat trick with what proved to be the final goal. 

The game between Lochgelly Albert and Rosyth at Gardiners Park was postponed 

North Region Division One West

With two games of the regular season remaining, Montrose Roselea moved in to the play off place, three points behind leaders Spey Thistle after an emphatic 9-0 victory at home to Fochabers. Roselea led 6-0 at half time, Joe Aitken scored the first after 15 minutes before A Trialist scored a quick-fire double. Calum Watson making his return from a broken leg scored the fourth before Aitken made it 5-0. Lloyd Hester scored the sixth heading home a corner. The Trialist got his deserved hat trick on 67 minutes before Stephen Greig scored his sides eighth. Kane Hester hit the goal of the game towards the end bursting through the Fochabers defence to score Roselea’s ninth. 

One Response to “East Region Round Up – 11.03.17”

  1. Avatar George Christie says:

    Hi last goal for Tayport against Carnoustie was scored by Struan Christie not Alan Tulleth as reported. thanks


Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10196 others and follow us