Mark Johnson’s East Region Round Up – 04/03/17

Review by Mark Johnson

Musselburgh & St. Andrews in action at Olivebank.

The deluge that hit Scotland during Friday night and Saturday morning wreaked havoc through the East Region programme, with only seven games surviving. The Scottish Junior Cup tie between Linlithgow Rose and Maryhill was postponed for a third time and they will now meet next weekend at St Anthony’s FC ground, McKenna Park. 

D J Laing East of Scotland Cup 2nd Round

Olivebank was one of the grounds to survive and Musselburgh Athletic took full advantage in their East of Scotland Cup tie with St Andrews United. Musselburgh’s opener on 15 minutes had an element of fortune about it as Jed Davie’s cross come shot was deflected past Shaun Hunter by Michael Fleming. Saints came back and got a deserved equaliser on 23 minutes when Aiden Hendry hit a sweet effort past Kieron Renton and in to the bottom corner from 20 yards. Parity lasted just five minutes before Davie put his side back in front with yet another deflected effort. The visitors were more than matching their Super League opponents and looked like they may equalise again before the break but all the good work was undone when Lea Schiavone was sent off for something said to the referee. 

The visitors tried manfully to get back in to the game but eventually the ten men wilted and Musselburgh took control. Matti King scored the home sides third on 70 minutes when he beat the offside trap to run on to a Davie pass to slip the ball past Hunter. The Musselburgh man then made it 4-1 eight minutes later when he tapped home a Conor Spowart cross. With the game won, Spowart made it five when he seized on a through ball to nick the ball under Hunter. East Super League

Two games survived the downpour in the Super League at Bo’ness United and Penicuik Athletic with both clubs slipping up. 

Broxburn had an early chance to take the lead at Newtown Park when Zander Miller was tripped by Ross Philp, despite it looking like the offence was committed outside the box the referee pointed to the spot. Kieran Anderson stepped up to take the kick but United keeper, Andy Murphy was up to the task and made a great double save. However, a minute later the visitors scored what proved to be the winner, Murphy failed to connect fully with a punch and the ball dropped on the edge of the six-yard box as the Bo’ness defence tried to clear the ball, it hit Grant Gavin and rebounded past Murphy with the Broxburn man knowing little about it. Bo’ness responded well but couldn’t find the final touch and Broxburn had several chances of their own on the counter, Nick Locke missing two excellent chances to increase the lead before the break. 

The second half was all United as they pressed Broxburn right back but former Bo’ness keeper Connor Wallace in the visitors goal was in no mood to do his former club any sort of favour and repelled everything thrown at him. The keeper was beaten on 65 minutes by a cheeky Strickland lob but the ball landed on the top of the goal. In the dying minutes, Miller had a chance to make sure of victory after Darren Gribben supplied a great ball through but Murphy saved from close range. 

At Penicuik Park the home side were hoping to take advantage of the inactivity of the clubs above them as they hosted Broughty Athletic who had not won a league game since October. The Lothian side got off to the perfect start when a Jancyzk cross was headed back by Ryan McCallum to Ryan Gay and he slammed the ball home from just inside the box. The lead however was short lived as Broughty equalised from the spot. Paul McLellan was tripped in the box by Ross Montgomery and Ross McCord made no mistake to level things up. Despite great play from both sides in the remainder of the half the score remained level at the break. 

The second half was all Penicuik and Johnny Harvey’s sides dominated but like Connor Wallace for Broxburn, Ross was equal to everything that the home side threw at him. The keeper’s resilience allied to some brave and at times desperate defending in front of him secured what could prove to be a valuable point for Keith Gibson’s Broughty. East Premier League

Like the Super League, two games survived in the Premier League at Haddington and Tayport. 

Haddington put an end to any lingering hopes that Dalkeith Thistle have to gate crash the promotion race with a 1-0 win at Millfield.  The only goal of a tight local Derby came with twenty minutes to go, a free kick on the right was played down the edge of the box and when the cross came in Euan Bauld got up well to head the ball past the keeper and in to the net. The win lifts the Hi Hi up three places above Glenrothes and Downfield although the latter do have three games in hand. 

Tayport had worked hard behind the scenes to make sure their derby with Kennoway Star Hearts went ahead at The Canniepairt but it was to no avail as John Ovenstone’s side lost their unbeaten home record, going down 4-3 to their promotion chasing visitors. Kennoway took an early lead on three minutes when Kyle Wilson seized on a mishit, to slot the ball past Gavin Sorley. On ten minutes Tayport were level, Gary Sutherland rising well to meet a Jamie Mackie cross and planting a header past the keeper. With no further scoring despite chances for both sides, it was level at the break. 

Midway through the second half Kennoway upped it a gear and got an immediate reward when Scott Young rammed the ball past Sorley from a poorly cleared corner. Ten minutes later it was 3-1 as Liam Rolland hit a searing volley past Sorley and in to the net. With eight minutes left, Kennoway looked to have made sure when Wilson set up Matthew Gay to tap the ball home and it looked all over. However, Sutherland had other ideas, on 83 minutes he fired home from a narrow angle and then the hitman completed his hat trick two minutes later smashing home after an Alan Tulleth free kick was only partially cleared. Unfortunately for Tayport, despite late chances for Sutherland and Tulleth, they couldn’t fully complete the comeback. East North League

All the games in the North League were postponed. East South League

The game at Craigroyston and Rosyth’s clash with Oakley United at Kelty’s New Central Park were the only ones to survive in the South League and it was a mixed afternoon for the “home” sides. 

At St Marks Park, Craigroyston went down 4-1 to visitors Easthouses Lily. Lily were 3-0 in front at the break and made it four just five minutes in to the second half, scorers were Steven Ferguson with a brace while Kenny McMillan and Gary Shearer scored a goal apiece. Ross Nisbet pulled one back for Craigroyston after 66 minutes but it was very much only a consolation. 

At New Central Park, Stanley Chitemere on his debut came back to haunt Oakley United with two goals and an assist in Rosyth’s emphatic 4-0 win over their Fife rivals. The former Stenhousemuir youngster scored the first for Rosyth on 31 minutes and the home side led at the break. Ryan O’Connor made it two on the hour before Chitemere scored the third seven minutes later. Savickas scored the fourth with an overhead kick from a corner with four minutes remaining to complete an emphatic and well deserved victory. 

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10197 others and follow us