Mark Johnson’s East Region Round Up

Review by Mark Johnston East Super League

Lochee United pulled off something of a great escape at Newtown Park against Lochee United. The home side took an early lead from the spot through Colin Strickland and Ross Philp doubled the advantage midway through the first half. When Ross Campbell made it three, ten minutes after the break, it looked all over for the Dundee side but Jamie Montgomery pulled a goal back on 70 minutes and then Aaron Whitehead deflected a Scott McComiskie strike in to the net. When McComiskie equalised with 12 minutes remaining there looked like there was only going to be one winner and sure enough, Bryan Deasley popped up with two minutes to go to complete the comeback and take all three points. 

A fiercely contested Fife Derby at Moorside Park saw Dundonald put a large dent in Kelty Hearts title hopes as they came from behind to beat the Super League leaders. Jordyn Sheerin put Hearts in front just before half time but the second half belonged to Dundonald. Lewis McKenzie grabbed a deserved equaliser ten minutes from time from the penalty spot after Murray Carstairs had been sent off for hand ball and then Scott Lawrie hit a fantastic free kick from all of 35 yards in to the roof of the net, two minutes from time to take the points. 

Calum Adamson put Hill of Beath in front on 16 minutes but Bobby Wilson’s side were reduced to ten man on the half hour when Russell Grierson was shown a red card. Haws were far from disadvantaged and extended their lead on 56 minutes through Aaron Hay. Jonathan Stewart pulled a goal back for Bonnyrigg on 63 minutes but it looked like nothing more than a consolation until Sean Jamieson equalised on 90 minutes and then amazingly Kerr Young stabbed the ball home in the third minute of injury time to clinch what had looked like an unlikely win. 

Broughty Athletic made it three league games without defeat with a 2-0 win at doomed Fauldhouse United at Parkview. Shaka Roy put Keith Gibson’s side in front after twelve minutes and then Kevin Buchan doubled the advantage five minutes before the break. Broughty never really looked threatened by their hosts, who were reduced to ten men early in the second half. 

Carnoustie Manager Alan McSkimming will be the happier after his side took a point from a 2-2 draw at Jeanfield Swifts. The visitors may have surrendered a 2-0 lead but had to finish the game with ten men after the sending off of Ryan Roche with 18 minutes left. Panmure took the lead on 6 minutes through a Jamie McCabe header and McCabe made it 2-0 on 10 minutes when he seized on a poor back pass to deftly steer the ball past the keeper. Swifts pulled one back a minute later through Robbie Holden and then on 15 minutes, Stevie McManus hit a sweet effort in to the bottom corner to level things up 

Camelon and Newtongrange Star took a share of the points from their 1-1 draw at Carmuirs Park but a point doesn’t really do either club any favours. Neil Martyniuk put the visitors in front from the spot on the stroke of half time but Camelon equalised with twenty to go through Alan Docherty. The result leaves Newtongrange deep in trouble with only six games remaining while Camelon also still need points to make sure they avoid getting dragged in to the relegation fight. 

Many people have laughed at the thought of Linlithgow Rose being dragged in to the relegation battle but the Scottish Junior Cup Semi Finalists are deep in it after their defeat at home to Penicuik Athletic. Todd Lumsden’s side do have games in hand but they also have the Cup to concentrate on and games in hand are only useful if you can win them. Andy Forbes put Penicuik in front on 16 minutes and John McDonald made it 2-0 after 25 minutes, that was enough to give the visitors the points and consolidate their position in second place. 

Musselburgh are very much in danger of being dragged in to the relegation fight after another defeat for the Olivebank side, this time at home to Broxburn. Declan O’Kane put Musselburgh in front on 16 minutes and the home side led at the break. However, two goals in the space of the first ten minutes after half time from Zander Miller and Kieron Anderson saw Max Christies men home. East Premier League

A 2-2 draw at Glenesk Park didn’t help Dundee Violet or visitors St Andrews United as they try and move away from the basement of the Premier League. The visitors had gone in to a 2-0 lead thanks to a Free Kick from skipper Ryan McInnes and a strike from Ben Anthony. However, Violet were in no mood to roll over and Kevin Scott headed his side back in to the game on 67 minutes. Ryan Dignan was poleaxed by St Andrews keeper Rhory Mooney and after treatment lifted himself up to level things up from the spot. The result leaves Violet three points adrift at the bottom. 

The battle at the top of the Premier League is sure to have more twists and turns but Forfar West End have a slight advantage following their 4-1 win over Haddington Athletic at Strathmore Park. Graeme Hart was the West End hero as he netted all four of West Ends goals on 20, 45, 50 and 55 minutes before Chris Robertson pulled a consolation back for Haddington on the hour. 

Kennoway showed that they have the credentials for promotion with a highly impressive 4-2 win over title favourites Sauchie at Treaton Park. Kyle Wilson helped himself to all four of the Hearts goals, the first came after just thirty seconds but Sauchie levelled straight away through Darren Cummings. Wilson then put his side in control with goals on 36, 43 and 45 minutes. Sauchie were shell-shocked and couldn’t pull another goal back until the 80th minute through Ryan Millar but it was nothing more than consolation. 

Arniston lead early on at Tayport through a fifth minute goal but Dale Reid levelled things up just after half time. Greg Callaghan got the Arniston winner on 68 minutes from the spot. Tayport ended the game with Jamie Mackie, Sergio Alvarez and Craig Sturrock being sent off. 

Glenrothes got their first win under Willie Campbell as they beat Downfield at Warout Stadium. Ross Gallagher put the visitors in front on 27 minutes but Conor Schiavone equalised straight away for Glens. Ross Mutch put his side in front on the hour and six minutes later Sean Simpson made it 3-1. Kieran Sturrock was on target with a second Downfield goal but Mutch made sure of the points with a fourth with four minutes to go. 

Armadale Thistle look doomed eight points adrift and with just six games left after their 3-2 defeat to Tranent at Volunteer Park. Tranent took the lead after 9 minutes through Guy Kerr but two goals in six minutes, midway through the first half saw Armadale lead at half time. But Scott McNaughton equalised on the hour and Kayne Patterson scored the winner with ten minutes left. 

Whitburn may be eight points behind St Andrews but in their last two games they have shown that all may not be lost especially with six games in hand on Saints after they drew 2-2 with Dalkeith at home. Andy Thomson put the Whitburn in front on nine minutes but A James Redpath free kick saw Dalkeith equalise on 27 minutes. Thomson restored Whitburn’s lead on 56 minutes but Bruce McLean scored Dalkeith’s second equaliser on 77 minutes. East North League

Lochore Welfare finally got the rub of the green as they inflicted a 3-2 defeat on Brechin Vics, away from home. Paul Ross had put Vics in front but Kearyn Hicks scored twice for Lochore with James Adam scoring the other goal. Liam Bailey scored a second for Brechin but Lochore held out for the win and lift themselves off the bottom. 

Coupar Angus enjoyed an emphatic 4-0 win over Arbroath Vics at home with Chris Liversedge, Tom Casey, Alex Gibb and Ross Nicholson on target for Logan McConachie’s side. 

Rhys Davies was tormentor in chief as Kinnoull were comfortable 5-0 winners at Forfar Albion. Davies helped himself to four goals on 10, 22, 30 and 61 minutes with Robbie Norrie hitting the fifth goal on 67 minutes. 

Kirriemuir Thistle are one of three teams at the top of the table on 44 points after Darren Scott scored all three goals in a 3-0 win. The result means that one time promotion candidates, Blairgowrie have taken just one point from the last 18 available. 

Thornton Hibs kept their challenge going against Lochee Harp in a game that saw both sides end the game with ten men. Daniel McNab put Hibs in front on 15 minutes and Stuart Drummond made it 2-0 on 26 minutes. Just before the break McNab went from hero to villain as he saw red after a second booking. The visitors were far from deterred as Chris Ireland and Garry Thomson Snr made it 4-0. Harp were reduced to ten men late on when Connaire Connelly was sent off for a headbutt 

East Craigie inflicted more pain on struggling Newburgh with a 2-1 win at East Shore Park. Nik Mann and Andrew McDonald scored the Shipbuilders goals with Cammy Black scoring late consolation for Newburgh 

Scone Thistle look to be outsiders for promotion after they could only draw with Luncarty at Farquharson Park. Craig Mitchell had headed the Jags in front on 26 minutes. Richard Doig equalised from the spot for Luncarty on 78 minutes to pinch a point for his side, that ended the game with 10 men after Jon Reid was sent off. East South League

Lochgelly Albert enjoyed their trip to the Lothians as they won 5-1 at Easthouses Lily. Jack Wilson scored a hat trick alongside goals from Lewis Elder and Martin Rennie. 

Crossgates Primrose earned the bragging rights against Kirkcaldy YM with a fine 3-1 victory at Denfield Park. YM took a fourth minute lead but goals from Stuart Donaldson on 14, Liam Forbes on 57 and Donaldson again on 65 minutes, saw Primrose home. 

Oakley United’s slump continued as they went down 4-0 at home to promotion chasing Dunbar United. Sam Young put the Seasider’s in front on 28 minutes and three minutes later Chris Grant doubled the advantage. Chris King made it 3-0 at the break when he converted a penalty and Chris Moffat scored the fourth midway through the second half.

Rosyth threw away a 2-0 lead at West Calder United and lost the game to a 96th minute winner. Dean Ogg put the Fifers in front on 33 minutes and Rosyth went further in front on 35 minutes thanks to an own goal. West Calder pulled one back before the break and then equalised early in the second half. It looked to be heading for a draw until the home sides dramatic late winner. 

Blackburn United made hard work of beating strugglers Stoneyburn but ground out a win that sees them needing just two more wins to secure promotion. Ross Donnelly scored their opener on 27 minutes but Lee Dawson equalised midway through the second half. Andy McQuillan scored what proved to be the winner for United on 63 minutes. 

With five minutes remaining Edinburgh United led 5-2 at Craigroyston so over twenty-four hours afterwards, United will still be wondering how they only got a point from the game. Jamie Hawkins had put Craigroyston in front on seven minutes but Taylor Hendry took over scoring on 27. 44 and 59 minutes for his hat trick. Keith Bucks pulled one back on the hour for the home side only for Hendry to score twice more on 62 and 85 minutes. The game was far from over as Bucks scored his second on 86 and Kyle Boggie hit Craigie’s fourth with two minutes left. It was perhaps fitting that it was Bucks who completed his hat trick in injury time from the spot that gave his side an unlikely point from a bizarre game. 

Pumpherston remain in the promotion race after a goal in each half from Ross Elliot gave them all three points from their visit to Livingston United North Division One West

The title is out of Montrose Roselea’s hands with Spey Thistle needing just a point from their final game after Roselea won 3-1 at Nairn St Ninian’s. Kane Hester was on target with both Roselea goals. Roselea must now wait to see who they will face in the play offs 












Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10197 others and follow us