East Region Round Up – 15.04.17

Round Up by Mark Johnson

Broughty Athletic pulled off a bit of a surprise by drawing 0-0 with title favourites Kelty Hearts at Whitton Park although in reality it was the least that Keith Gibson’s side deserved with John Sinclair, standing in for the ill Iain Ross in goal, receiving the plaudits. Ryan Blair thought he had given The Fed the lead in the first half but saw his “goal” struck off for a foul. Blair was then thwarted in the second half by a stunning save by Hearts keeper Kyle Marley. The result leaves Hearts still 21 points clear of Bonnyrigg but the Scottish Junior Cup Semi Finalists have eight games in hand.

It was the original game of two halves for Carnoustie Panmure in their Derby game with Lochee United at Laing Park. The home side missed a number of first half chances and went in to the break at 0-0. Lochee made their hosts pay straight after the break when Paddy Deane was able to back heel the ball home after a Bryan Deasley cross wasn’t cleared. The visitors had by far the better of the second half and the only surprise was that the second goal didn’t come until the 84th minute. Bryan Deasley was given freedom to run before shooting from just inside the box, Jamie Robbie appeared to be behind the ball but he could only manage to help the ball in to the net after it took a nasty bounce.

Dundonald Bluebell gave the performance of the day as they thrashed Bo’ness United 5-0 at Moorside Park. Super league top scorer Lewis McKenzie put his side in front after just six minutes and it was no surprise when Barry Sibanda made it 2-0 on 33 minutes. Stevie Kay’s side continued to dominate after the break and McKenzie hit a third on 69 minutes before Scott Lawrie scored the fourth with 15 minutes left on the clock. Sibanda was given freedom to run through, with five to go and took full advantage to score the fifth goal and complete the rout.

Hill of Beath and Musselburgh had to settle for a share of the points at Keirs Park as they drew 1-1, a result that doesn’t do either side many favours. Michael Moffat had put the visitors in front after 54 minutes but Lee Bryce rescued a point for Hill of Beath with three minutes remaining.

In the position that Jeanfield Swifts find themselves in, you would hope that scoring four goals at home might be enough to secure the points. Unfortunately for the Perth side they could only take a point from an amazing 4-4 draw. Errol Douglas put the visitors in front on 13 minutes only for Robbie Holden to level things up five minutes later. Holden put Jeanfield in front seven minutes later but Douglas was on hand six minutes before the break to level things up. Sean Lally then gave Newtongrange the lead five minutes after half time but this time it was Daniel Kelly that equalised on 56 minutes. Kyle Lander put Star back in front with 25 minutes to go but Kelly was able to equalise once more with 12 to go and the sides had to settle for a point a piece which doesn’t really help either side.

Penicuik Athletic put an end to their run of defeats at home with a 1-1 draw with Camelon but Johnny Harvey will have expected more from his side. Both goals came late in the game, David O’Brien gave the visitors the lead on 74 minutes but ten minutes later substitute Keith Lough equalised.

The end is nigh for Fauldhouse United after they went down 3-1 at home to Broxburn Athletic. The Park View side will be relegated next week if Musselburgh defeat Bo’ness or Newtongrange Star both games before Fauldhouse play again in a fortnight. Zander Miller

put Broxburn in front but Scott Sally equalised for United. Miller then scored a second goal before Darren Gribben made sure with the third goal.

McBookie.com East Premier League

Throughout this season, St Andrews United have managed to shoot themselves in the foot, which is one of the reasons they are in danger at the wrong end of the Premier League. This time it was a Michael Perrie own goal on the hour that gave Arniston Rangers a point after Player Manager Craig Morrison had put Saints in front after 17 minutes.

A goal from Paul Devlin after 18 minutes was enough to inflict defeat on Downfield by Haddington at Downfield Park. To cap a miserable afternoon for the Spiders, Kevin Milne who was returning after suspension was sent off.

Reece Boyle gave Bathgate Thistle the lead after just two minutes at Creamery Park but that was as it got for the home side as John Ovenstone’s Tayport came roaring back to win 3-1 with goals from Dale Reid, Gary Sutherland and Sergio Alvarez. The result lifts Tayport up in to the top five.

Forfar West End know that six points from their remaining two games will see them achieve promotion to the Super league after they won 4-0 at home to Dundee Violet. Daryl McKenzies side led 3-0 at the break thanks to goals from David Rae, Matty Ramsay and Graeme Hart. Hart made it 4-0 from the spot after Violet were reduced to ten men. West End now face Bathgate Thistle next weekend before hosting Sauchie the following weekend.

Sauchie continued their push for the Premier league title with a comfortable 3-1 win at Warout Stadium against Glenrothes, Iain Syme put the Clackmannanshire club in front on 26 minutes and Brian Morgan doubled the advantage ten minutes later from the penalty spot. David Morrison made it 3-0 to the visitors just after half time and the title favourites were on easy street. A wonder strike from A Trialist from the half way line was unfortunately nothing more than a consolation for Willie Campbells side.

Kennoway knew they had to beat Whitburn to keep the pressure on Forfar West End for the automatic promotion place and at the same time do neighbours St Andrews United a favour. Gavin Gray opened the scoring for the Fife side on 25 minutes and an Own Goal increased the lead ten minutes before half time. Greg Skinner pulled a goal back for Whitburn just after half time but Matty Gay restored the cushion on 77 minutes before Ross Brewster put the icing on the cake with a fourth late on.

Armadale will be relegated next weekend if they don’t take all three points from the trip to Downfield after they lost 3-0 at Dalkeith Thistle. Dean Whitson scored a hat trick with goals on 7, 20 and then 80 minutes as The Jags ran out comfortable winners.

McBookie.com East North League

Thornton Hibs kept up their challenge to Kirriemuir with a 3-0 win over a hardworking Arbroath Vics side away from home. Two goals from Chris Ireland and an Ian Hepburn effort gave Hibs the points although Ireland also missed a penalty. After the game, Thornton boss Craig Gilbert said “It was a good three points without playing that well against a young and hardworking Vics side”

Dundee North Ends 100% league record under Ross Lunan continued thanks to a 3-2 win at Blairgowrie. Ryan Smith gave The Dokens and early lead but they were pegged back by a Stefan Brown strike. Frankie Devine and Brodie Heggie put North End in control until Brown set off a few jitters with a second Blair goal.


It rained goals in Brechin as Vics took on Forfar Albion. The home side managed to edge out Albion in a nine-goal thriller, eventually winning 5-4. The result along with Lochore’s victory over Newburgh sees Albion drop to the bottom of the league.

Dundee East Craigie came from behind to lead 3-2 against Luncarty at Craigie Park only to have to settle for a point in a 3-3 draw. A Richard Doig double put the Perth side in front before Liam McCartney pulled one back and then Nik Mann equalised. Ryan White then put The Shipbuilders in front only for Lewis Allan to earn a deserved point for Jonny Kelly’s side

Kinnoull boss Alan Cameron had set his side the task of taking six points from the last two games and they completed part one with a 4- 1 win over Coupar Angus at Tulloch Park. Rhys Davies put Kinnoull in front only for Chris Liversedge to equalise almost straight away. Sean Burton put Cameron’s side back in front on 65 minutes before Davie scored a third on 81 minutes, A Trialist made it 4-1 in stoppage time.

The Kirriemuir bandwagon rolls on after they were comfortable 5-0 winners at Lochee Harp but it wasn’t until the second half that the visitors took control. Darren Scott scored the first on 49 minutes then Bryan Duell scored from the spot on 72 minutes. Duell made it 3-0 on 86 minutes before Nathan Tosh got the fourth in injury time.

Lochore Welfare got the rewards they have deserved with an emphatic 5-1 win at home to Newburgh. Goals from Adams Hicks and Easton put Welfare in control at the break before Fairweather equalised for Newburgh on 53 minutes. Welfare continued their control of the game and added to their tally through Donaldson and Thomson.

McBookie.com East South League

Crossgates Primrose were no match for title favourites Blackburn United as they were thrashed 6-0 although it was only 1-0 at the break and Crossgates had scored that, an own goal five minutes before half time. The game exploded on the hour mark as Blackburn scored three in three minutes through McQuillan, Drummond and Williamson. Mildren made it five on 76 minutes before McQuillan made it 6-1 on 83 minutes.

An understrength Oakley United went down 4-2 to Edinburgh united at Paties Road, Taylor Hendry put the hosts in front on 8 minutes but Oakley came back to lead after 25 minutes through goals from Lee Celentano and Lyle Kellican. Gabrielle Auriemma equalised straight away for Edinburgh and then put his side in front just before half time. This proved to be the turning point and Sean Guiney made sure of the points for Edinburgh with a fourth on the hour mark.

A beleaguered Kirkcaldy YM were hammered 7-1 at home by Dunbar United. United led 4-1 at the break courtesy of a double from Chris King and strikes from Steven Tait and Darren Handling, James Evans scored for YM. Handling scored a second and in the dying stages Sam Young made it 7-1.

Lochgelly Albert are completing the season on a high, continuing there run of form with a 2-1 win at West Calder United. John Duffy and Lewis Elder out Lochgelly in front at the break before Nicky Miller scored a late consolation for West Calder.

Easthouses Lily and Livingston United took a point each from a 0-0 draw while Pumpherston kept up the pressure on Blackburn United and Dunbar United with a 1-0 win at Stoneyburn.

North Region – Archibald Cup Group Match

Montrose Roselea are on target to win some silverware as well as gain promotion after another win in the group section of the Archibald Cup at Sunnybank, who ironically look like being Roselea’s opponents in the promotion play off.

Sunnybank took the lead on 17 minutes through Skinner but the visitors levelled things up just before the break when Kane Hester earned himself a penalty, getting up to just beat the keeper to equalise. Hester made it 2-1 early in the second half and completed yet another hat trick on 57 minutes. The game was over with 25 minutes to go when Todd managed to turn a Hester cross in to his own net. The home side managed to score a second on 82 minutes through Bathgate but Roselea were never in danger. They now face Nairn St Ninian in a fortnight for a place in the Semi Finals.



Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10197 others and follow us