East Region Round Up – 06.05.17

East Region Review

 D J Laing East of Scotland Cup 3rd Round

 Round Up by Mark Johnston

The double is still on for Bonnyrigg Rose after they got past Carnoustie Panmure at Laing Park, although it was a nervy last few minutes for Robbie Horn’s men with the home side scoring twice in the last few minutes. Ruaridh Donaldson put the visitors in front on 22 minutes with a curling effort top the far corner and then Adam Nelson made it two when he stabbed the ball home from close range. Wayne McIntosh made it 3-0 to Bonnyrigg when he headed home a Nelson corner on 67 minutes and it looked plain sailing. However, as you would expect the visitors started to show signs of fatigue from their heavy schedule and Carnoustie seized on it. Ryan Roche pulled a goal back on 83 minutes with a deft flick past Andrews and then on 90 minutes Scott Gray got his head to a Danny Millar volley to direct the ball past the keeper. Bonnyrigg did manage to hold on and now face Kelty Hearts in the Quarter Finals.

 D J Laing East of Scotland Cup Quarter Final

Dundee North End and in the Semi Finals of the East of Scotland Cup following a win on penalties at Whitburn. The game ended 2-2 in normal time, Dayle Robertson scored both goals for North End while Gary Brass got both of the Whitburn goals. The shootout ended 4-3 in favour of the visitors who will face Tranent or Broxburn Athletic at home.

 The Conservatory Convertors Fife & Lothian Cup Quarter Final

Tranent continued their rich vein of form with a highly impressive 2-1 against Super League title favourites Kelty Hearts in the Quarter Finals of The Fife & Lothians Cup.  Ben Miller put the home side in front on 26 minutes and the Premier league side led at the break. Hearts were level on the hour through Brian Ritchie but the home side didn’t let it affect them and Kenny Fisher hit a deserved winner for his side with six minutes remaining.

 McBookie.com East Super League

Bo’ness United adapted better to the blustery conditions at Newtown Park and took full advantage as they were comfortable winners over their rivals for third place, Penicuik Athletic. Fraser Keast got the first goal on the half hour for United before Marty Wright made it two on 44 minutes and Keast again made it 3-0 before half time. Wright went on to complete his hat trick with goals on 59 and 63 minutes as Bo’ness inflicted a heavy defeat on Johnny Harvey’s side. 

Broxburn Athletic have turned Albyn Park in to something of a fortress of late so it was a bit of a surprise that Hill of Beath came away with a 3-0 victory. The Fife side who have struggled of late, secured their Super League status with the win courtesy of a Calum Adamson brace and another goal from Greig Smith. 

Jeanfield Swifts know that their fate is in their own hands and they did as much as they could with a 2-0 victory at relegated Fauldhouse United. Robbie Holden put the Perth side in front before Daniel Kelly made it 2-0. Ross Gunnion’s side now need four points from their remaining four games. 

Lochee United hold the bragging rights for now over Broughty Athletic after a 2-0 win over The Fed at Thomson Park. Scott McComiskie put Lochee in to an early lead after 9 minutes and former Broughty striker Kevin Buchan made it two, ten minutes before half time. Despite an improved second half from Broughty in the second half they failed to pose any real problems to the Lochee defence. 

Musselburgh need two wins from the remaining four games while Linlithgow need two wins and a draw from their seven games left after the sides drew 2-2 at Olivebank. Reece Donaldson put Linlithgow in front on 36 minutes only for Mathu King to equalise for Musselburgh three minutes later. Tommy Coyne restored the lead for Linlithgow, six minutes after the break but Musselburgh substitute, Ewan Ralton hit a deserved equaliser with eight minutes left. 

 McBookie.com East Premier League

It’s a good job that Downfield are showing a bit of form away from home as their form at home is not good, their latest defeat came at the hands of Arniston Rangers, despite taking the lead after just 15 seconds through Kieran Sturrock. Darren Leslie equalised 5 minutes before the break and Greig Callaghan put the visitors in front right on half time. Lumbert Kateleza hit the visitors third just past the hour mark and Danny McFadden made it 4-1 with seventeen left. 

Dundee Violet’s fate is almost sealed but Ralph Henderson’s men gave themselves a glimmer of hope with a 2-1 win at home to Haddington. Ryan Dignan put Violet in front after 6 minutes and Craig Batchelor doubled the advantage on the half hour. Paul Devlin pulled one back on 60 minutes for the visitors but Violet held out to record their first league win since Bonfire night. 

Sauchie bounced back from their midweek defeat to Tranent by coming from behind to beat Tayport at home. The visitors took the lead just before half time when Dale Reid poked the ball home after an error from keeper Steven Dolan but Josh Flood equalised ten minutes in to the second half, then Darren Cummings hit the winner from the penalty spot with six minutes left. 

 McBookie.com East North League

Goals from James Simpson and Darren Neave were enough to give Blairgowrie a 2-0 victory at Brechin Vics while at Forfar Albion, the home side took the lead on 36 minutes through a trialist before going down 4-1 to Scone Thistle. The visitors equalised on 38 when an Albion player put the ball in to his own net then Arran McKay put Scone in front right on half time. Fraser Mills made it 3-1, five minutes in to the second half and Abi Njie scored the fourth just before the hour mark. 

There is still quite a battle for that third place behind Kirriemuir and Thornton with East Craigie in the position following their 6-2 win at Lochore Welfare and Kinnoull are in fourth place after their 2-1 win at home against Arbroath Vics. Mark Smith put the Perth side in front on 32 minutes but Vics were level just after the half time interval. Rhys Davies hit the winner for Alan Cameron’s men on 77 minutes. 

Newburgh denied Lochee Harp the three points with a stoppage time equaliser at East Shore Park. Ryan McKillen opened the scoring for Harp on 32 minutes and Sam McDonald doubled the advantage. With eight minutes to go Harp looked comfortable but Greg Fairweather pulled a goal back and Gavin Thomson equalised in stoppage time. 

Thornton Hibs were 2-1 winners at Luncarty but had to come from behind to beat a spirited performance from Jonny Kelly’s side. Jake Dolzanski put the Perthshire side in front but goals from Stuart Drummond and Ewan Henderson saw Craig Gilberts side home and leaves them just three points from promotion. 

Pride of place in the North League goes to Kirriemuir Thistle who confirmed their promotion to the Premier league in style with an emphatic 9-0 victory over Coupar Angus. Stewart Russell and Bryan Duell both scored hat tricks while the other three goals coming from Derek Patterson, Kamil Kadela and own goal. Jim Finlayson’s side have now scored 119 goals in the league and have a goal difference of 94. 

McBookie.com East South League

Edinburgh United certainly enjoyed the conditions at New Victoria Park after their game with Stoneyburn was moved to Newtongrange Star’s ground, United running out 4-0 winners. Euan Watson scored after just 5 minutes and Euan Lee made it 2-0 ten minutes later. Two trialists were on target on 68 and 82 minutes to give the “home” side a comfortable win. 

Barry Nicholson put Pumpherston in front at home to Lochgelly Albert only for Lewis Elder to equalise for Craig Ness’s side. 

Finally, Dunbar United confirmed promotion and the South League title with a 5-0 win at Livingston United. Chris Gordon put the visitors in front on 8 minutes and Kieran Ingram made it 2-0 on 23 minutes, it was 3-0 at the break after Chris Grant scored on 38 minutes. Scott Devlin and Dean Ballantyne put the icing on the Championship cake on 82 and 90 minutes. Livingston ended the game with nine men after Daniel Forbes and Jack McWilliams were both sent off late on. 


Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10205 others and follow us