East Region Round Up – 13.05.17

Round Up by Mark Johnston

 D J Laing East of Scotland Cup Quarter Final

Tranent continued their run in the East of Scotland Cup as they defeated Broxburn to reach the Semi Final. Kenny Fisher and Ben Miller put the Premier League side in to a 2-0 lead but two goals in three minutes, midway through the second half saw Broxburn take the game to a penalty shootout. The home side who had already put out Fauldhouse, Dundonald and Bo’ness United in previous rounds held their nerve and scored all four of their penalties as the Super League side missed three. In the Semi Final, Tranent travel to Dundee North End for a place in the final. 

 McBookie.com East Super League

Linlithgow Rose are still deep in trouble after losing the derby game at rivals Bo’ness United 2-0. The game had looked to be heading for a draw until former Rose man Roddy MacLennan scored on 88 and 90 minutes to inflict pain on his former club. Linlithgow are still in the relegation place but have five games remaining but face a massive game on Wednesday night against Musselburgh at home.

Bonnyrigg Rose maintained their challenge to Kelty Hearts and at the same time pushed Jeanfield Swifts nearer the drop with a 3-1 at the Perth sides Riverside Stadium. Scott Gray gave Rose the lead on 32 minutes and five minutes later Andrew Kidd made it two. Jeanfield had the better of the early stages in the second half and deservedly pulled a goal back just before the hour through Robbie Holden. Wayne McIntosh restored the visitors two goal cushion on 77 minutes with what proved to be the decisive goal. Both sides were reduced to ten men in stoppage time, Swifts Daniel Kelly was sent off for a bad challenge and scorer of the first Rose goal, Andrew Kidd was also shown a red card for retaliation. After the game, Swifts Ross Gunnion was disappointed in the result but pleased with the performance and Rose’s Robbie Horn said “We had the better of the first half but Jeanfield put us under pressure in the second half, Wayne’s goal came just at the right time 

Hill of Beath have parted company with manager Bobby Wilson following their defeat at Kelty Hearts according to the club website. The Keirs Park side took an early lead in the Fife Derby at New Central Park but that was as good as it got for Bobby Wilson’s side. Calum Adamson put The Haws in front after seven minutes but Sean O’Neil drew his side level just five minutes later. Neil McCabe put Kelty in front on 21 minutes and Brian Ritchie made it 3-1 on 24 minutes. Hill of Beath’s task was made harder on the half hour as Aaron Hay was sent off and from then on, the home side never looked in danger. Stephen Husband made it 4-1, ten minutes after the break and that the way it remained to leave Kelty probably just three points from the title. 

Musselburgh’s run of positive results looked to have put the Olivebank side in a great position to climb free of relegation. Unfortunately for them, that came undone at home to Broughty Athletic. A penalty from Ross McCord had put Keith Gibson’s men in front on 55 minutes and when Shaka Roy scored on full time that looked to be it. Musselburgh showed they weren’t quite dead when they pulled a goal back in stoppage time but it proved too little too late for Musselburgh. 

Penicuik Athletic boss Johnny Harvey had set his side the task of hitting 100 goals in the season and they achieved that but that was all they got from the visit of George Shields Lochee United as the visitors ran out 3-2 winners. Greg Kirk put United in front on 17 minutes before Ryan McCallum equalised on 26 minutes. Kevin Buchan restored the lead on the half hour and the visitors led at the break. Buchan made it 3-1 on the hour and Lochee looked home and dry until McCallum made it 3-2 in stoppage time. The Dundee side manage to hold out to take a deserved three points from an entertaining game. 

 McBookie.com East Premier League

Sauchie reclaimed their place back in the Super League as well and all but mathematically claiming the title after an emphatic 6-0 demolition of Arniston Rangers at New Byres Park. Ryan Millar scored on 9 minutes to put his side in front and then doubled the advantage on 35 minutes. Darren Cummings put Sauchie 3-0 in front at the break and Steven Higgins scored the fourth 6 minutes in to the second half. A minute later and Millar completed his hat trick before Higgins scored his second and Sauchie’s sixth on 66 minutes.

Whitburn’s draw at Downfield means that St Andrews United survive a little longer in the Premier League. However, the Lothian side still have two games remaining to claim the point that will condemn Saints to the drop. Whitburn went in front through a Martin Russell strike but Kevin Milne equalised. Gary Brass put Whitburn back in front until Phil Hagen equalised for a second time. When Dean Wilson put the visitors in front for a third time it looked like they would hold on to claim the points needed but Jack Neave hit a late equaliser to pinch a point for the Dundee side 

Dundee Violet are ending the season on a high after they beat already relegated Armadale Thistle 5-3 at Glenesk Park. Kevin Scott scored four for The Pansies with Craig Batchelor getting the other. Unfortunately for Ralph Henderson’s side their relegation is now confirmed although the win has lifted the club off the bottom of the league.  

 McBookie.com East North League

Dundee North End had to come from behind against Arbroath Vics to continue their run of form under Ross Lunan. Charlie Wilson put the home side in front but that was pegged back by a Ryan Smith goal. Rikki Gillespie scored Vics second goal but strikes from Dayle Robertson and Nicholas Scott saw North End take the points.

Blairgowrie couldn’t give manager Billy McKay the perfect send off as they lost 3-1 at home to Kinnoull in their long serving managers last game before retiring. Mark Smith put Kinnoull in front on 15 minutes but former Kinnoull man Gordon Norrie pulled McKay’s men level on the half hour. Rhys Davies restored the Perth sides lead five minutes later and then made sure of the pints on 64 minutes when he converted a penalty.

Coupar Angus ended the season on a high with a convincing 5-0 win over Newburgh at home. Chris Liversedge opened the scoring on 15 minutes before Tom Casey doubled the advantage on the half hour. Liversedge made it 3-0 at half time with a great strike to the top corner. Alex Gibb increased the advantage five minutes after the break and then when a Gibb free kick was parried by the keeper, Murray Irvine pounced to net number five.

Thornton Hibs dominated proceedings against East Craigie at Craigie Park and should have scored more said Hibs boss Craig Gilbert after his side beat the Shipbuilders 2-0. However, it wasn’t until East Craigie were reduced to ten men with twelve minutes remaining that the Fife side took control. On 83 minutes Garry Thomson headed home a Shaun Keatings corner and then Thomson rifled the ball home on 88 minutes from a Chris Ireland cut back.

Lochore Welfare were emphatic winners at home to Brechin Vics running out 5-1 winners against their fellow strugglers. James Adam and Logan Donaldson both scored twice with Keiron Hicks getting the other Welfare goal 

Luncarty boss Jonny Kelly demanded his side end the season on a high and they took full points from the visit of Lochee Harp. Jon Reid and Reg McLaren score the home sides goals with Liam Roddy scoring Harps consolation.

The North League title is still up for grabs as promoted Kirriemuir Thistle were held to a 1-1 draw at Scone Thistle. Stewart Russell had put the visitors in front on 39 minutes but Kirrie were pegged back on the hour mark by a Sean Whitworth strike to keep the title race alive. 

 McBookie.com East South League

Lochgelly Albert enjoyed a comfortable 3-1 over Crossgates at Humbug Park with goals from Lewis Elder, Craig Paterson and Steve Brown, the Crossgates goal coming from McDonald. 

Rosyth enjoyed an emphatic 6-2 win at home to Stoneyburn. Brady put the visitors in front but two goals from Tam Hampson on 20 and 32 minutes saw the Fifers go in 2-1 in front. Menzies equalise for the visitors, three minutes after half time but Rosyth upped it a gear with Evan Stansfield restoring the lead on 65 minutes and Greg Page helped himself to a fifteen minute hat trick with goals on 70. 80 and 85 minutes. 

 McBookie North Region

Montrose Roselea secured promotion to the North Region Super League with a comfortable 5-0 win over Buckie Rovers in Inverurie. Roselea took the lead on 15 minutes through Doan before Kane Hester made it 2-0 on 36 minutes and Ross McLeod made it three, two minutes before half time. Hester scored the fourth from the spot on 52 minutes and Joe Aitken hit the fifth with twenty minutes remaining to secure promotion.


Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10205 others and follow us