Penalty Shoot Out Edges Cumnock Into Final

Cumnock Juniors 1 Beith 1 (Cumnock win 4-2 on pens)


Report by Robbie Sanderson


Wednesday night saw Cumnock claim a place in the Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup Final, dumping Beith out in a penalty shoot out decider.

Both sides selection options were limited but they produced a hard fought contest for the spectators. The visitors started best and Paul Frize shot over from a good position when played into the box by McPherson. Cumnock gradually worked their way into the match with Callum McRobbie causing danger and he created the home side’s best opportunity cutting the ball back into Samson’s path but he also missed the target with his shot.

Joe Bradley was opening up the home defence when he had possession and he tee’d up Conor McGlinchey in the box only to see him smash his shot off the upright. As often happens a let off at one end is punished at the other and the hosts grabbed the lead in the 36th minute when Anson got the break in the box after a tussle with McLaughlin allowing him to knock the ball to the back post for Ray Montgomery to head home with Grindlay stranded.

Beith then lost Paul McMenamin to injury and looked vulnerable after the defensive reshuffle. Action before the break saw Cumnock escape from a goalmouth scramble and Beith keeper Grindlay touch over an on target Crawford header.

Referee Grainger had opened his book up in the first half and he continue to collect names readily as the contest became increasingly tousey with Nock forward McRobbie fortunate not to collect a second.

End to end action continued but the hosts midfield continued to look the stronger with Adam Hunter particularly impressive. Cumnock also hit the woodwork when McRobbie outpaced the Beith defence but his shot rebounded off the upright into Grindlay’s arms. However Beith were also finding gaps in the Nock defence and they levelled in the 70th minute when Joe Bradley sent Thomas Collins into the box with a measured pass and he shot low past Johnson.

Beith were well on top now and chasing a winner but Johnson somehow blocked a Christie header with his legs in their best chance and further efforts missed the target to send the match to a penalty decider. Anson, McRobbie, Hunter found the net for the hosts with Grindlay saving from Shirkie. Beith scored through McGlinchey and Collins with Johnson saving Frize’s effort before Bradley blazed his effort high over the bar giving Montgomery the opportunity to sent his side into the to the final which he duly took, albeit in off the post.

Cumnock: Johnson, Wood, Crawford, Lundie, McKenna, Montgomery, Samson, Hunter, Anson, McRobbie, Muir. Subs: Shirkie, McMaster.

Beith: Grindlay, McGlinchey, McMenamin, MacDonald, Mclaughlin, Wilson, Frize, Bradley, McPherson, Christie, McGowan. Subs: Collins, Elliot, McArthur.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10056 others and follow us