Rovers Edge Out Perthshire In Tightly Fought Friendly

Carluke Rovers 3 Glasgow Perthshire 2


Report by Craig Martin

In a game of two halves, Carluke did just about enough to overcome opponents and last seasons division 2 champions Perthshire in this their second warm up match.

A Rovers side that saw a few changes from last week, took a while to settle down with their first opening coming from a Mark Cassidy break on the left and after a good turn he saw his net bound effort well saved by the visiting keeper.

The opening goal was not too far away though and came from a corner gained after a Mark Weir effort had been blocked, his well flighted ball in was headed home at the back post by Aldin El Zaibidi for his second goal in as many matches for 1-0 to Carluke in 16 minutes.

Perthshire thought they had drawn level in the 25th minute after poor play from Rovers but the effort was ruled out for off side.

The home side doubled their lead on the half hour mark when Weir and Cassidy linked well to set up Greg Kane for a low shot that despite a touch, beat the Perthshire keeper for 2-0.

Almost from the restart Rovers fashioned another chance when Gary Gow burst forward with the ball going wide to James Martin but Gow could not get on the end of the low cross and the chance was lost.

The first half scoring was rounded off in the 44th minute, when Cassidy stole the ball from the Perthshire defence but as he burst in to the penalty area he was brought down with Weir making no mistake from the spot. The half time score was Carluke Rovers 3 v 0 Glasgow Perthshire.

The second half saw probably too many changes to the Rovers team with a few of them taking time to settle and they lost a goal when they lost possession in mid field after only a minute of the second half to make the score 3-1.

The game then went in to a scrappy spell for both sides but it was the visitors who came out of it better and they further reduced the deficit in 65 minutes when young defender Chris Lambie brought down his opponent in the box with a penalty being the result, this was scored to make it 3-2 to the home side.

Perthshire thought they had drawn level a couple of minutes later but an excellent tip over from David Thomson in the Rovers goal kept their lead intact, the keeper was again on hand in the 75th minute when he tipped a low shot from the right away for a corner.

Carluke eventually got a foothold in the second half and created the final chance when a good run down the left by Cammy Browning ended with his cross being headed just wide by Andy Dunn. Final score Carluke Rovers 3 v 2 Glasgow Perthshire.

Carluke Rovers: Thomson, Lowdon, Lambie, El Zubaidi, Gow, Martin, McCole, McNeish, Weir, Kane, Cassidy. Subs: Dunn, Blacklaw, Browning, Haddow, Neill, Renwick.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10118 others and follow us