Bonnyrigg Ease Past A Stubborn Camelon

Bonnyrigg Rose 2 Camelon Juniors 0

Report by Gordon Baird

Despite having the better of the play, Bonnyrigg took 70 minutes to subdue a Camelon team who carried little threat upfront, but battled well in midfield and defended stoutly. In fact, it took a hotly disputed penalty to finally make the game safe for the Championship favourites after Camelon have started the second period brightly.

Bonnyrigg Rose has shown no sign of a hangover after last season’s wonderful campaign which ultimately finished without a trophy. A remarkable Scottish Cup campaign culminating in entertaining Hibernian in a memorable tie before a sell-out crowd at Tynecastle Park, a second-place finish in the Super League which was far closer than the final table indicated, a narrow semi-final defeat to eventual winners Glenafton in the Scottish Junior Cup, and a penalty shoot-out defeat in the East of Scotland Cup Final to Tranent Juniors were cases of so near, yet so far.

Against that background you might have expected a sluggish opening to the new season but, they have started in great form in the Super League with wins against Forfar West End and Broxburn by the same comfortable scoreline of 3-0.

Cameron in contrast, finished last season too close to the relegation places for comfort and lost twice by a single goal to Rose in tight encounters. They have started this campaign with a home win to Super League newcomers Kennoway and an ominous away defeat in midweek to Linlithgow Rose. Indeed, their away form was less than convincing last season, so they needed to start getting something on the road today to help consolidate their top League place.

Rose were straight on the front foot on a perfect afternoon for football. McIntosh tried a shot in their first attack but it was easy for Shaw in the “mariners” goal. Camelon’s first effort was a shot from Sneddon but it was well wide. Turner was the next to shoot from range but his effort was well wide. Bonnyrigg were starting to take control with Currie and Nelson pulling the strings in midfield supported by Gray and the busy Turner.

After 14 minutes Hoskins got on the end of a Currie free kick but his header was across, rather than at goal. A minute later and Camelon should have taken the lead. Moyes missed a through ball and Hoskins slipped as he tried to intercept. Sneddon pounced on the loose ball and drove in on goal before rounding Young. However, Brown got back and managed to clear at the expense of a corner. Millar was on the end of Donaldson’s flag kick but directed his header wide of goal. It was a real let off for the home team.

Rose were stung into action and a minute later might well have scored after a mix up between goalkeeper Shaw and Morrison, but the latter hooked the ball away for a corner.
Half way through the half Docherty showed good pace for the visitors before getting a shot away which was easily dealt with by Young.

Camelon were enjoying more possession but not really creating chances although Donaldson did try his luck from a long range free kick, but it lacked power. After 33 minutes Hoskins headed a Nelson free kick across goal to Currie, but he headed wide when he looked sure to score. A couple of minutes later, a fine Gray cross was met by McGachie but his effort went over, off the top of the bar.

Martyniuk was causing problems on the left flank and his cross was headed down by McIntosh to Nelson but again he couldn’t force the ball home. After 38 minutes the home side took the lead. Currie took a quick free kick to MCINTOSH in lots of space wide on the left and with defenders expecting a cross, he fired the ball into the far corner – a real strikers finish.

As the break approached Martyniuk again raided down the left before cutting inside and shooting straight at Shaw. Rose deserved the lead at the break, but Camelon had a real chance to take the lead earlier –  it might turn out to be a costly miss.

Half Time: Bonnyrigg Rose 1 Cameron Juniors 0

Herron replaced Sneddon at the break and it was a different Camelon team which started the second period. They had a decent penalty shout turned away after 47minutes. Five minutes later Donaldson produced a good stop from Young, at the expense of a corner, after his shot was deflected. From the resultant kick the ball was cleared off the line by Currie with Young beaten.

Rose’s first chance of the half fell to Nelson after a Currie corner was not cleared but he blasted over. In their next attack McGachie brought out a fine stop from Shaw as his shot from the left side of the area was going into the far corner. Just after the hour McIntosh had a good run and shot but Shaw was equal to it.

Both teams made substitutions with Kane and Crawford making was for Liddle and Small for the visitors and Rose introducing Jamieson, replacing McGachie who was getting little joy from Morrison and Millar. Almost immediately Currie and Gray combined to give Jamieson a shooting chance but he shot straight at Shaw who turned his effort away for a corner. From Currie’s corner Moyes thundered a header against the underside of the crossbar.

With 70 minutes played Rose got the goal they deserved for their possession. Turner cut into the box and Deans brought him down. It was a contentious award. After a delay HOSKINS stepped up and took the kick which Shaw saved, but the rebound fell to Hoskins who fired it into the roof of the net. Sadly, for Camelon, their protests over the award continued far too long and Morrison received a straight red for comments he made to the officials.

Turner had a good effort saved after 72 minutes and Rose were now in total control against the ten men. Currie made way for Horne as Rose utilised their squad.
To Camelon’s credit they kept playing football despite having ten men but it was all Bonnyrigg with Substitute McConnell shooting over before McIntosh headed straight at Shaw.

Rose deserved the win but it was never easy against a Camelon side who were well organised and disciplined defensively, if a bit shot shy up front. Best for Rose were Currie, Brown and Martyniuk while Donaldson was busy for the visitors and Millar and Morrison (before his red card) solid for Camelon.

Camelon entertain Sauchie Juniors this midweek while Bonnyrigg make the short trip to local rivals Newtongrange Star for a derby which they have dominated in recent seasons.

Bonnyrigg Rose: Young, Brown, Martyniuk Hoskins, Moyes, Turner, Gray, Currie, McIntosh, Nelson, McGachie.  Subs: Horne, Jamieson, McConnell, Andrews.

Camelon Juniors: Shaw, Taylor, Deans, Morrison, Millar, Kay, Kane, Donaldson, Sneddon, Crawford, Docherty. Subs: Liddle, Small, Herron, Skinner, Duncan.

Referee: Simon MacLean. Assistants: Referees Robert Peacock & Danny MacKinnon.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 9999 others and follow us