‘Cairn Edge Past ‘Pace Into Cup Second Round

Dunipace 0 Gartcairn 1

Report courtesy of ‘Cairn Facebook

Gartcairn travelled to Westfield park to face fellow 2nd division opposition opponents Dunipace Juniors. The Pace were off the back of ten points from four games in the league and a recent defeat in the Scottish cup.

Davy Greig started with his usual 4-4-2 line up but without injured Skipper Kevin Ross and Johnny Robertson. This left last week’s impressive replacement Priestly between the sticks and Amos and Morris in the centre back positions with the ever-present Spooner who passed a late fitness test and Williams completing the back four.

Benched midfield trio Bowie, Tait and Leslie were replaced by McEwan, Hepburn and Easton, with last week’s MoTM Ryan O’Donnell making up the midfield. The formidable strike force of Donnelly and Arbuckle remained up front to terrify the opposition.

The match started at a brisk pace that couldn’t last on an extremely heavy pitch to the credit of the Pace ground staff ensured the game was on. Ryan Donnelly was chopped down when about to pull the trigger in three minutes inside the Pace box looking like a repeat of last week’s early penalty. However, the man with the whistle had other ideas and denied the claims from the travelling support and Cairn players.

Although it was the only goal of the match it had class written all over it, with outstanding play on the edge of the box from the eventual MoTM Ryan Donnelly, who turned the Pace left back inside out before firing a precise cross on to the head of the dual marked Arbuckle, who showed his class by bulleting the ball high into the top right of the net leaving the Pace keeper with no chance of saving the shot.

Cairn now had control of the match which really was a struggle on the heavy pitch with the next chance falling to Morris who put the ball just over on 21 minutes.

Pace had what was there first of two real chances of the match when on 37 minutes springing the Cairn offside trap and bearing down one on one with Priestly the Cairn keeper stood tall and strong and held his ground to thwart the chance.

Half Time: Dunipace 0-1 Gartcairn

Cairn were now shooting down the Westfield Park slope and from the start Arbuckle went close on 46 minutes.

Pace had their second and final chance when once again Kyle Priestly pulled off a great save to deny the chance.

Experienced veteran Tait replaced Easton on 53 minutes and broke up any further chances from the Pace midfield to supply their striker.

However, it was the normally reliable Tait who unbelievably missed a golden chance to finish the cup tie from all of three feet, when he had a Sebo moment and put the ball over the bar from the close range.

The pace keeper had two further class saves from Donnelly on 75 minutes and Arbuckle on 80 minutes denying Cairn the chance to see the tie out early.

Summary MoTM Ryan Donnelly proved the difference once again against Pace in a cup tie that Cairn looked unlikely to lose on a difficult surface.

Thanks to the ground staff committee and management at Dunipace for most importantly ensuring the game was played and for the excellent hospitality shown to all at Gartcairn.

Next week sees Cairn back to league duty with match ten seeing the return fixture of Royal Albert to MTC Park.


Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 9996 others and follow us