Stewart Double Secures Points For Farmers Boys

Greenock 0 Neilston Juniors 2

Report by Douglas Droy

A Paul Stewart double gave the Farmer’s Boys a hard fought 2-0 victory over Greenock at Ravenscraig Stadium. A goal in each half secured the three points and moved them up to fourth in the League. Neilston made one change to last weeks’ line-up with Kieran McDade coming in for the unwell Allan Diack.

It was the only game in the West Leagues that survived the weather. It was a scrappy start on a heavy pitch with neither team able to trouble the keepers. Neilston had the better of the opening stage and forced a few corners which came to nothing. Stephen Docherty went close with a shot that was deflected wide for a corner.

Greenock had a golden opportunity to take the lead midway through the first half when Carter was through on goal, but Robert Tiropoulos made a good block. Minutes later he tipped a Gozdz header over the cross bar. At the other end, Simon McBride’s free-kick caused problems inside the penalty box and Craig Patterson saw his effort blocked by the keeper then Euan Clark’s shot deflected wide. Minutes later Simon’s cross was headed just by the post from Paul Stewart.

Neilston’s pressure paid off in the 39th minute when a Lewis Lovering cross was missed by all, and Paul STEWART (pictured) pounced on the loose ball to fire a low shot home from a tight angle.

Greenock made a change during the interval with Thomson replacing the injured Littler. Neilston came close to doubling their lead with a great run on the left from Lewis Lovering before firing a cross across the face of goal but there were no-takers to knock it in. The home side responded with period of pressure and good play. They went close, but Brown blasted over the bar.

Neilston survived the pressure and nearly scored their second of the game when Stephen Docherty cut it back to Craig Patterson before he turned to see his shot saved by McWilliams then he managed to get up to block the rebound from Docherty.

They secured the three points with minutes to go when Lewis Lovering found space inside the box to set up Stephen Docherty who squeezed the ball through to Paul Stewart. He slotted the ball home past McWilliams into the bottom corner.

Robert Tiropoulos prevented the home side pulling a goal back minutes later with a good save at his near post to deny McLure. Neilston’s Paul Stewart had the last chance to complete his hat-trick in injury time, but he blasted over the crossbar from Simon McBryde’s free-kick.

MoTM: Paul Stewart.

Neilston: Tiropoulos, Milne, Payne, Clark, McDade, McBryde, Frizzell (Curren), Stewart, Patterson, Lovering. Subs Unused: Convery, McStay, Fitzpatrick, & GK Sinclair.

Goals: Stewart 39, 88.

Greenock: McWilliams, Littler (Thomson), Doherty, Jamieson, Gozdz, McEwan, Queen (Eardley), McCabe (McLure), Carter, Brown, Loughran. Subs: McVittie, Finlay.


Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10028 others and follow us