Theesel Edge Past ‘Hill Thanks To Late Strike

Maryhill 0 Largs Thistle 1


Report by Graeme Swanson 

The first game of 2018 saw Theesel visit Maryhill for the first time since 2007, Lochburn Park’s pitch being deemed playable shortly after 9.30am despite some heavy and muddy areas. 

The visitors started as the better team, with Struthers and Adam linking well. However, Maryhill grew in confidence and subjected the North Ayrshire team to some sustained pressure. The Thistle defence survived some dangerous moments, most notably from corner kicks, and Preston was disappointed to see his header hit the post before being cleared by Matthew Ashe. 

Stephen Burdon had a snap shot well saved by home keeper Moore as both teams tried to break the deadlock. Graham Muir also worked hard to get in a shot which was blocked, following some good leading up work again from Struthers. The away support then shouted for a goal following a corner, but it was clear that goalie Moore, despite being behind the line, kept the ball in play. 

Half time came, allowing supporters to thaw out in the Maryhill Social Club, the score remaining 0-0. 

Maryhill started the 2nd half in determined fashion, pushing forward in numbers but with no end product. However, a poor pass back gave Preston the opportunity to score a rare goal for the ‘Hill but he seemed to lack composure and saw his shot drift harmlessly over Graham’s crossbar. 

Largs brought on subs McKie and McWaters with 20 minutes remaining, the latter in particular bringing more drive and penetration to the Theesel attack. One well worked move saw Muir almost open the scoring with a header following some good skill by McWaters. 

As most supporters sensed a goalless game, Jamieson launched a long ball into the Maryhill half which was flicked on by Adam to the impressive Liam McKie and he coolly lobbed keeper Moore in the 80th minute, much to the delight of the Theesel contingent in the crowd of 120. A social media comment suggested that Largs supporters sang like a “cat’s choir”, however the supporters rejoiced in typical fashion. 

Referee Steven Strang produced a flurry of yellow cards as the game wore on, presumably he’d been given a new yellow card as part of his Christmas and wanted to show his gift to as many people as possible. 

Largs remain in fifth position and look forward to entertaining Cambuslang Rangers next week, whilst Maryhill visit Troon. Despite remaining bottom of the league the Glasgow team will surely find that elusive first league victory soon. 

Maryhill: Moore, Beckley, McGillion, McFarlane (Tiffney), Banks, Owens, McCall, Marenghi, Preston, Furay (Emsley), McLarty (Clark). Subs: Crawford, Mailey. 

Largs Thistle: Graham, Ashe (Orr), McVey, Gilbride, Jamieson, Little, Muir, Campbell, Adam, Struthers (McWaters), Burdon (McKie). Subs: Fleming, Cousar.  

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10028 others and follow us