Cairn Continue Promotion Push With Seven Goal Win

Gartcairn JFC 7 Lanark United FC 1 


Report by Craig Martin 

Lanark United who were already rocked by injury and players not available got off to the worst possible start against high flying Gartcairn when they lost a goal in the second minute, centre half Cammy Lawson tried to win a throw in for Lanark but instead gifted the ball to Gartcairn and a perfect lofted shot beat Gareth Hallford for 1-0.  

Lanark answered this setback in the best possible way when they levelled in the sixth minute when a free kick from Aldin Al Zubaidi was flicked in to the path of Sean Taggart who fired the ball home for 1-1. 

Hallford was brought in to action soon after this however but made a good stop to keep the scores level, the keeper was powerless to prevent Gartcairn taking the lead in the fifteenth minute though as a break on the left ended with a cut back being tapped home for 2-1. 

This lead was increased further in the ninth minute when another break on the left ended with yet another cut back that was stabbed home for 3-1. 

When Lanark finally recovered from this setback they did gain a couple of chances when first Ronan Kearney cut in from the left but his ball across goal was cut out then good build up work from Lanark ended with a cut back for Dan McHugh but his strike brought of  a good save from the home keeper. 

Lawson was again involved in the 24th minute when he had a shot well saved but his next action saw him involved in a tussle in the penalty area and with all in the ground looking for a free kick to Lanark the young referee however awarded a free kick to Gartcairn then to rub salt in to the wounds he ordered Lawson off for his overzealous complaints. 

When the spot kick was eventually taken Hallford made a good save with Mark Haddow completing the clearance with Gartcairn looking for another penalty in the process. 

The half was rounded off with another goal for the home side when Lanark lost possession in the middle of the park and the ball ended in their net for a 4-1 half time score. 

The early parts of the second half saw the extra man tell against Lanark although they did create a chance when Kearney broke on the left but his ball went harmlessly across goal. 

Gartcairn got further goals in the 56th minute from a free kick that fell kindly after a break of the ball for 5-1 then a break down the left produced another counter for 6-1. 

Lanark’s horror show was completed in the 68th minute when a free struck the Lanark wall before dropping kindly for Gartcairn and the loose ball was stabbed home for 7-1. 

Lanark went on to create a few half chances from Martin Smith and Kearney as the game drew to a close but they were never going to make an impression on the Gartcairn lead and the match ended in an embarrassing 7-1 score line. 

Lanark: Hallford, B Fraser, Lawson, El Zubaidi (J Fraser), Smith, McHugh (Callan), Gillespie, Haddow, Kearney, Gallagher, Taggart (Brophy).  

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10052 others and follow us