Dunbar Fight Back to Land The Points

Arniston Rangers 2 Dunbar United 3


Report by Gordon Baird

When Arniston Rangers went two nothing up just after the break it looked ominous for a Dunbar side, who despite lots of the ball, had hardly troubled Cornet in the Arniston goal. However, the Seasider’s quickly brought on two substitutes and turned possession into goals and ended up worthy winners.

Arniston Rangers played host to Dunbar United in a McBookie.com East Premier League fixture tonight. Rangers are still in the relegation places whilst Dunbar look like they’ll have to settle for a top six finish, rather than promotion. Points are still important to both sides as the season reaches its climax. The sides played out a no scoring draw back in September at Dunbar.

Dunbar were first onto the attack on a dull and windy evening, with Handling putting in a cross which was turned away for a corner, which came to nothing. Arniston won a free kick in their first attack and Ballantyne’s cross was flicked narrowly wide by Dunn.

Dunbar looked the likelier side and King played a good ball to Tait who forced Cornet into a good stop. In their next attack Ballantyne shot just wide, before McLaren forced another stop from the keeper, as he tried to guide his shot home. After 15 minutes, Ballantyne again shot just wide, but the visitors were dominating.

However, all that changed after 19 minutes when, after some sloppy defending, WELDON scored the opening goal. After 21 minutes Dunbar won a free kick in a central position about 20 yards out. However, King sent his effort into the wall and out for a corner which was cleared.

Arniston were forced into a change half way through the half, with Watson going off to be replaced by Thomson. Dunbar were still on the front foot and Handling had an effort on goal before Gillon had an effort turned away for a corner. Rangers went in with their lead at the break, but Dunbar deserved to be at least equal as they had dominated possession.

Half Time: Arniston Rangers 1 Dunbar United 0

There were no changes at the break and Arniston took only a minute to double their lead. Deland played a long ball forward on the left and WELDON finished with a spectacular lob over Johnstone – his and his side’s second.

Dunbar’s Moffat saw yellow before the visitors made a double change – Szemis and Gillon were replaced by Motion and Kean. After 50 minutes, Ballantine shot straight at Cornet. Five minutes later Kean had a cross which ended on top of the net.

Arniston were playing a bit better than in the first half and after a great run by Somerville, Thomson had a great chance for the home side, but he put it wide. Dunbar made their final change on the hour with Moffat going off and Young coming on.

With 63 minutes played the home side won a corner. The ball wasn’t cleared properly and eventually Somerville had a header on goal. After 66 minutes, Dunbar’s McLaren had a shooting chance but he chose to pass and the chance was lost.

Just when Arniston looked to be weathering the storm Dunbar pulled a goal back. Motion’s shot was turned away for a corner and from the kick MCLAREN headed home at the near post.

Two minutes later Ballantyne had a shot deflected but Dunbar were going for it now and after 74 minutes they equalised. King put in a good cross from the left and YOUNG headed home – although Cornet will feel he might well have held the header.

There could only be one winner now and after 81 minutes Dunbar grabbed their third. Handling provided the cross and MCLAREN fired home, giving Cornet no chance.

With time running out Motion received a straight red before Arniston threw everyone including goalkeeper Cornet forward – but they couldn’t find an equaliser. Dunbar deserved the win and did well to comeback from being two goals down, but they always looked the more likely side.

Best for Dunbar were McLaren and King while Arniston were well served by Deland, who worked tirelessly. Arniston host Downfield on Saturday while Dunbar visit Glenrothes in Fife.

Arniston Rangers: Cornet, Woods, Deland, Callaghan, Dunn, Lister, Somerville, Weldon, Wright, Watson, McIntosh. Subs: Thomson, Aitchison, Miller, Ritchie.

Dunbar United: Johnstone, Szemenis, S Tait, Ingram, Moffat, Harley, Gillon, King, McLaren, Handling, Ballantine. Subs: Chapman, Young, Motion, Kean, K Tait.

Referee: Daniel Graves.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10213 others and follow us