Shotts Put Five Past Vics At Hannah Park

Shotts Bon Accord 5 Whitletts Victoria 0


Report by John Dalton

Vics crashed out of the West of Scotland Cup in an embarrassing fashion with a heavy defeat at the hands of Shotts at Hannah Park.

With promotion ambitions taking priority and manager George Grierson and assistant Mark Ferris absent due to long term holidays book well before they took over their roles at Dam Park, Kevin Deeney and Mark Daly stepped in to take over the roles in the dugout. And with vital league matches against Dalry Thistle and Annbank United coming up in the midweek ahead, the opportunity was taken to rest some key players

Vics started the match well, taking the game to their opponents and on a number of occasions went close, notably an Adam Forsyth chance at the near post from a Jordan Boyd cross that the Shotts keeper did well to save. And it was against the run of play that the Lanarkshire side took the lead in the 21st minute. Cummins latching onto a through ball and firing low past Vics debutant keeper Louis Kerr.

On the half hour the home side almost doubled their advantage when Kerr saved a Maguire shot but it took the intervention of Boyd to clear the ball off the line before Evans fired narrowly over from the edge of the box.

Whitletts were pressing forward but struggled to create any clear cut chances with the home defence able to scramble clear but two minutes before the interval they fell two behind. As keeper Kerr took a touch on a Raymond Buchanan pass back, the young keeper failed to control the ball allowing Cummins to nick it off him and in his attempts to redeem the situation, the young keeper brought the striker down with his challenge leaving the referee no option but to point to the spot. Danny Burns stepped forward to fire home from twelve yards

The second half started in a similar fashion. Graeme Barbour just failed to connect with a Ross George cross at the back post while at the other end, Kerr saved a couple of shots from distance but any hopes Vics had of getting back into the tie were ended in the 69th minute in the simplest of fashions. From a long throw into the penalty spot, Watson volleyed home.

Whitletts were a beaten side and their reaction was poor as Shotts threatened to over run their visitors. Martin went close with a curling shot that drifted wide, but the full back was to get his name on the scoresheet in the 77th minute. A simple run along the edge of the penalty area saw the defender evade three challenges before he fired low past Kerr who was rooted to the spot.

And then to complete the visitor’s misery, Burns grabbed his second goal of the afternoon with a simple finish in injury time to set up a home tie against Beith in the third round.

An afternoon Vics will clearly want to forget and one that they must bounce back from when they face a Dalry side looking to confirm their promotion at Kilwinning Sports Club on Monday evening.

Shotts Bon Accord: Fraser, Sutherland, Martin, Crone, Kennedy, Evans, Maguire, Scott (McHaffie 78), Cummins (Aitken 73), Watson (Foley 73), Burns.

Whitletts Victoria: LT Kerr, Ogston, Boyd, Mullen, Fisher, Buchanan, L. Kerr (Ewart 70), Sloan (Dempsey 79), Forsyth, Barbour (Milligan 70), George. Subs Unused: Anderson, I. Kerr.

Referee: Steven McKay.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10218 others and follow us