Theesel Through To Semi After Putting Four Past Darvel

Largs Thistle 4 Darvel Juniors 0 

Report by Graeme Swanson 

This Ayrshire Cup Quarter Final Tie saw Largs start at a great pace, pushing forward at every opportunity. Visiting keeper McWilliam had to be alert after 2 minutes to beat away a fine effort from Ryan McKie. Scott Adam tried in vain to reach the rebound and the ball was cleared. Soon after, Adam collected a fine ball from Fisher and his angled drive was saved by the keeper. 

Darvel gradually grew in confidence and Henderson hooked a shot towards the home goal, keeper Cousar saved well. This was followed by an excellent driving run by full back David Waite only for Cousar to once again make a save. The visitors continued to press as the Largs defence re-adjusted after losing skipper Gilbride to injury, and Armour and Ryan combined well to test Cousar again. 

The opening goal came in 32 minutes and it was the Barrfields men who took advantage. Fleming did well to create space and his fine pass was coolly dispatched beyond McWilliam by top scorer Adam after playing a one-two with McWaters. 

Two minutes later McMaster thought he had scored from a McWaters free kick but was ruled offside, the Barrfields men were now clearly sensing another goal. McWaters, Muir and McKie combined well to set up a golden chance for McMaster, however the youngster blazed over from five yards. One wag in the crowd, known to have a keen interest in a team from the east end of Glasgow proclaimed “have we signed Morelos”? 

Theesel were not to be denied and a fine run and cross from McWaters saw Adam score his second goal with a skilful flick from the outside of his boot, 42 minutes played and Largs looked to be in command. 

After 68 minutes, Darvel’s   Greg Vernon voiced his displeasure at the near-side Assistant Referee and received his 2nd yellow card of the match, heading off for an early shower. This put Largs in cruise control much to the annoyance of Darvel’s Manager Graeme Neil who could easily have been sent off for some comments made to the referee. Mr Scott showed restraint and gave out a stern warning. 

With the supporters in The Shed in full voice, Largs scored a beautifully executed third goal. McMaster and Campbell combined well to set up Martin Orr who gleefully slammed the ball home. What a week for Martin, recently becoming a Dad for the 2nd time just a few days previous. 

With Largs playing incisive and attractive football it was no surprise to see a fourth goal arrive in the 84th minute. Jamieson reached a McKie corner on the edge of the penalty area and was as surprised as anyone in the crowd of 230 to see his header deceive keeper McWilliam and bounce into the net. 

This was an entertaining game for the Theesel faithful to watch, however the decent travelling support faced a long journey back to East Ayrshire. 

Largs Thistle: Cousar, Fisher, McMaster, Gilbride (Muir), Jamieson, Orr, McKie, Fleming, Adam (Struthers), McWaters (Carter), Campbell. Subs: Ewing, McVey. 

Darvel Juniors: McWilliam, Biggar, Waite, McCreadie, Walsh, Kirkwood (Paterson), Armour (McManus), Henderson, Ryan, Vernon, Fitzharris. Subs: Davidson, Findlay, Gilmour. 


Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10218 others and follow us