United Take Points After Coming Back From 2 Goals Down

Lochee United 3 Camelon 2 


Report by Jim Davie 

In one of the most remarkable games seen at Thomson Park in many a year, Lochee United came from two goals down to beat a Camelon side that finished the game with only seven men, with Lochee themselves ending the game a man short and with coach Lee Wilkie being sent to the changing rooms.

That was the result of the most amazing rammy in the dying minutes of the match which saw virtually every player involved, along with both sets of coaching staff. 

The game started quietly enough with the home side creating the first opening, Scott Webster working his way into the visitors’ box and squaring to Grant Lawson, who blazed his shot over. 

The two combined again shortly afterwards, but this time Lawson’s cross was headed clear by the Camelon defence. 

The visitors replied with a Ross Crawford header easily held by Bluebells keeper Mark Stewart. 

Lochee were soon on the attack again and, from Dougie Cameron’s corner, Connor Birse seemed certain to score but sent his header wide. 

Camelon were relying on long balls up to their two strikers and Crawford was creating problems for the Lochee defence with his strong running. 

But it was his strike partner Alan SNEDDON who struck the first blow on 18 minutes. With the Lochee defence claiming offside, the striker raced through and slotted the ball past Stewart. 

Two minutes later the nippy striker did it again, this time latching on to a header and driving the ball low into the right hand corner. 

He almost had a hat-trick three minutes later, but Stewart parried his shot and Craig Smith was on hand to clear. 

Lochee laid siege to the Camelon goal for the remainder of the half but could not find a way through a resolute defence. 

First, Logan Davie saw a shot blocked, then Lawson shot just over the bar. Lawson then combined with Jamie Reid, whose shot was turned round the post by Dean Shaw. 

Stewart was the first name in the book for complaining over a refereeing decision, and Camelon’s Don Morrison had a chance which Stephen McNally headed clear. 

The Bluebells continued to press and, five minutes from the interval, almost got one back when Davie crashed a shot against the post. Lawson followed up but couldn’t turn the ball in.  

Lochee were still creating chances and Birse hit the side netting from Cameron’s corner and Mcnally also headed wide from a Cameron free kick. 

The home team started the second half in determined fashion, Davie bringing out a great save from Shaw from a free kick. 

But the game turned on 53 minutes when Camelon had the first of their quartet ordered off. Reece Duncan went into a full blooded challenge on Webster and the ref decided it was worthy of a red card. 

Cameron also went into the ref’s book for a foul on Jordan Herron. 

On the hour mark the loss of a player told on the visitors when Lochee pulled a goal back. From a short corner, Lawson and Cameron worked a one-two and LAWSON curled a beauty into the top corner from the edge of the box. 

Six minutes later and the game was all square. From 25 yards, McNALLY sent in a free kick which everyone missed, including keeper Shaw, and Lochee were level. 

Camelon had virtually disappeared as an attacking force and the home side went in search of a winner. 

From a Cameron corner Cameron McMahon headed just wide, but the goal was only delayed until the 72nd minute. 

Great work by Webster saw him pick out McNALLY about 25 yards out and the full back crashed the ball past Shaw. 

Camelon’s Herron was booked and then subbed. 

Lawson then beat three men to get himself into a shooting position but his final shot was weak and easily saved by Shaw. 

With 10 minutes remaining, Camelon’s Jordan Devlin was the second visiting player to see red for scything down Cameron. 

Lochee should have scored a fourth when Shaw miskicked straight to Davie but the keeper recovered to save the Lochee man’s effort. 

Davie was next in the ref’s book for kicking the ball away and he was followed in quick succession by teammate Birse and Camelon’s Morrison. 

Just as the game was winding down towards the final whistle all hell let loose. Camelon substitute Ryan Kane saw the red mist descend and tried to kick every Lochee player he could see. That resulted in virtually every player on the pitch getting involved, with punches thrown and both dugouts racing onto the park to see if they could ‘help’. 

When the dust settled, the referee sent off Kane as well as teammate Greg Skinner. Lochee’s Birse was shown a second yellow so he joined them in the pavilion, as did Lochee coach Lee Wilkie. 

It was an amazing end to a quite thrilling game. 

Lochee United: Stewart, Mcnally, Kirk, Smith, Webster, McMahon, Cameron, Davie, Lawson, Birse, Reid (McIlravey 81). 

Camelon: Shaw, McCroary, Devlin, Morrison, Lockie, Skinner, Duncan, Herron (Small 74), Sneddon, Crawford (Kane 64), Docherty.  

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10218 others and follow us