Mighty Edge Past Talbot In To Cup Semi Final

Auchinleck Talbot 1 Beith Juniors 2


Report by Robbie Sanderson

On Wednesday night Beith claimed a place in the Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup Semi Final after squeezing through in a very entertaining and close fought contest at Beechwood Park.

The visitors opened strongly and couldn’t have got a better start to take the lead after only 2 minutes when Ross McPherson got on the end of a looping cross that caught out Bot keeper Leishman and he headed home at the back post.

The newly crowned Scottish Cup Winners were stung into action and Shankland and Kemp had efforts that went close. Beith keeper Grindlay also made a good stop to turn away a Donaldson shot when MacDonald was caught napping at the back.

Beith were getting forward quickly when in possession and they doubled their lead when McPherson reacted sharply to follow in and tuck away the chance when Leishman parried a Paul Frize shot.

Play continued at a fast pace with further goal chances created at both ends. Christie saw a good effort fly just wide for Beith and the ever dangerous Shankland and Kemp both saw efforts go close. Beith lost the services of Richie Burke who limped off after a challenge where he was harshly booked for a fair looking challenge – Nicky Docherty replacing.

Action continued with McPherson almost bagging a hat trick with a free kick effort that went a yard wide of the top corner and then at the other end Beith goalie Grindlay made a fine save to deny Kemp who really should have scored. Beith went in for the break in front but far from secure against hosts were sure to respond in the second half.

Jamie Glasgow entered the fray for Talbot and they promptly set about their task to get back into the contest but in a quick break Connor McGlinchey went close with a shot that went narrowly over the bar. However, Beith had to pull out all the stops to defend their lead but Kemp and Faulds missed the target from good positions and Grindlay produced a good save to stop a Thomson effort.

Beith had to rejig further when centre back John Sheridan limped off with Jamie Wilson replacing.

Talbot went for broke with sub Wilson bringing out another good save from Grindlay. Sean McIlroy joined the contest to add more physical presence for the hosts and he made a quick impact when he provoked Wilson into retaliation when awaiting a free kick into the box and the Beith midfielder received a red card after the assistant highlighted the incident to the Ref who then awarded a penalty.

Sub Gordon Pope made no mistake from the spot, despite Grindlay getting close, to ensure an exciting finish to game. Beith’s 10 men dug deep for the remainder and defended well to thwart Talbots late pressure to take the tie to a penalty shootout.

Auchinleck: Leishman, Lyle, McMillan, Armstrong, McCracken, Faulds, Donaldson, Thomson, Shankland, Pooler, Kemp. Subs: G Wilson, Glasgow, McIlroy, Pope, Hyslop.

Beith: Grindlay, McGlinchey, Burke, MacDonald, Sheridan, Bradley, Christie, Frize, McLean, McPherson, Milliken. Subs: Reid, Collins, Wilson, Docherty, Cunningham.

Leave a Reply

What’s new?

Thank you to those who keep the site open by providing content and footage. The site is after all for the benefit of junior football, especially the fans, so please help out and contribute. All input is vital and greatly appreciated.

Without input there is no site and we are always looking for new people to assist in any way possible so get in touch at scottishjuniors@hotmail.co.uk

If you want to advertise your site get in touch or if you want to sponsor our site please contact us.

For latest tweets from clubs click on menus below the pictures.

The latest from Twitter

Join 10213 others and follow us